Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

'Doctor Who' Film: "They Are Doing It"?

Post by Blowfeld »

If there ever was a franchise that was perfectly suited for a film adaptation, it was Doctor Who. The British sci-fi series has basically been rolling out feature-length films with every double episode or Christmas special that they've done, though these outings have only been shown on the small screen and never on the big one.

That's about to change, it seems. That is, according to former Who actress Billie Piper. Though Piper has stated she is done with the franchise, she obviously is still in the know about something. Piper, who is currently starring in the series Secret Diary of a Call Girl, appeared on the Scot Mills Show and confirmed a Doctor Who film with four simple words: "They are doing it."

Those four simple words that will undoubtedly begin a flurry of fan speculation as to what the film will be about, which Doctor it will focus on, which companion will be featured alongside the Doctor, which alien will serve as the villain, and many more questions like that.

To me, it seems obvious that the film will center upon Matt Smith's eleventh incarnation of the Doctor. Though Tennant has been reported as the star of the picture, his story has already been completed with "The End of Time," while Smith's has only just begun. As much as I love Tennant, it's time for a solid, universal changeover between Doctors. The same thing goes for Rose Tyler (Piper), who I feel has run her course as a character. It's time to move on, people!

As for the villain of the film, I think the most obvious choice lies with one of the iconic creatures, such as the Daleks or the Cybermen. (Though, if the creators of the film really wanted to win my respect, they'd use a completely new monster, or one of Stephen Moffat's wonderful creations like the Weeping Angels).

No release date, or anything other than "They're doing it," has been confirmed about the film, which seems likely to go into production after work on series 5 of Who is finished.
This story can be found at http://www.tvovermind.com/doctor-who-tv ... g-it/18272
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: 'Doctor Who' Film: "They Are Doing It"?

Post by Kristatos »

I'll believe it when I see it, or at least when I see an official announcement from the BBC. There have been too many false alarms in the past. Doesn't Milton Subotsky (or his estate, not sure if he's still alive or not) still own the rights to movie adaptations of the Daleks? That's why they couldn't show them in the TVM.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I don't know. About the time of the TV movie he went to America because he though he could sell the Daleks without Doctor Who, then 2005 his estate almost denied the new series the rights to use Daleks. Apparently the apple didn't fall far from the tree they had some outrageous demands that were not remotely viable for the series, RTD said fine they would create a new alien race and bbc broke off talks next day estate reached an agreement.

The movie has been constant rumour around for year and years now, it got some more credit last year when David left the show, it was rumoured he wanted to do the Movies and wanted them as part of his contract if he came back for series 5. Then it was rumoured he wanted to make the movies and not the show and now the rumours of an American Who series. It would be nice to finally get something official about it.

'They are doing it' could mean a lot of things especially with RTD ;)
If they make them I see them going with David or Paul McGann, They don't know how well a Dr who movie will work yet and Matt Smith is not a proven hit with the fans yet and many never be as popular as David.

Thinking about it almost doesn't make sense to make a movie with the current star seeing the production schedule, 8 or 9 months of work every just for the show, and then their if promoting the show when it does get on air months later.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:If they make them I see them going with David or Paul McGann, They don't know how well a Dr who movie will work yet and Matt Smith is not a proven hit with the fans yet and many never be as popular as David.
Or they may do it like the 60's movies, as a stand-alone project independent of the TV series. But if Billie Piper is involved, it may well be a "missing adventure" with DT, particularly if his American TV show Rex Is Not Your Lawyer becomes a big enough hit Stateside to raise his profile over there.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I am not sure, they could do a Time War Movie series with McGann, David has Rex, but it is on hold until the fall season starts. He backed out of the Body Snatchers with Simon Pegg ( I though filming Rex was the reason but it can't be), supposedly David is up for Billbo Baggins in the Hobbit and now the rumours of USA brand of Doctor Who and possibly a Movie series.