RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Javier Bardem Offered Big Bond #23 Role;

Post by Omega »

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/javier- ... rustrated/
This guy has other offers and he turned down Oliver Stone last year. I don't think he is going to do it.

This part needs explaining.
The other Bond #23 news is this: Deadline has learned that MGM's new leadership is trying to leverage the next Bond pic, and indeed the Bond franchise, to create more cash flow for the post-bankruptcy studio. The new brass, Spyglass Entertainment co-owners Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum who are now the Co-Chairmen/CEOs of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc, are in the middle of negotiating to make an overall deal for worldwide theatrical and home entertainment distribution of not just Bond but also MGM's new product as well as its library of films. But what isn't known is that, as part of that deal, MGM wants whichever studio is chosen to distribute Bond 23 to co-finance a number of films with MGM. "That would provide MGM quick cash flow," an insider tells Deadline. "The quick cash flow allows MGM to have revenue which it hasn't had in a long time. Thereby their books look better, and therefore the possibility of getting more funds for production is increased. So expect whichever studio lands Bond to also announce it is several co-financing deals allowing MGM into other pics that are already shooting."

There's no doubt this is a shrewd move by MGM, but Deadline has learned it's not sitting well with the majors. Top execs at Sony and Fox and Paramount and Warner Bros who are all involved in the negotiations to distribute Bond "are growing increasingly frustrated with the way that the Spyglass duo are playing one studio off another -- and enjoying it," in the words of one exec involved. One studio even described its strategy to win Bond #23 was reduced recently to "pleading".
What does it mean?
............ :007:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: Javier Bardem Offered Big Bond #23 Role;

Post by bjmdds »

It means Eon is wasting another two years of our time with developing a plot around a mumbling Bond.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

It's what Mazer and I have been talking about. It's the famous 50-50 partner they need to get production in motion, that now, with this move, will apply NOT ONLY to Bond but to a number of MGM-produced films.

Basically this is the situation: MGM has ZERO money. They need cash flow fast or they WON'T be able to start actual production of movies, BOND INCLUDED. So what they are doing is this. They've put up Bond 23 for distribution, but WHOEVER gets the distribution deal for Bond 23 must ALSO sign to co-finance a certain number (no idea how many and which ones) of their projects. (And needless to say they'll pay for a share of Bond production too).

In short. "I, MGM, make the cake (Bond). You then distribute the cake to various shops and make your big share of the profit (distributors nowadays are those making the highest percentage of profits IF a movie goes well.. not the studio). Since I involve you in a profitable project, I want you to be committed not only to this project (for which you will not simply distribute but also pay a certain share of the production costs) but also to x of my other projects. We have a bigger deal, you make more money but you must guarantee me an investment meantime, in order to be sure the movies you want to distribute will ACTUALLY be produced. Of course this allows you to have a bigger share of the profits".

Basically, Bond is their only "guaranteed" money maker right now. Since people know that, MGM is using it to its advantage to include in the deal less "palatable" stuff (if you want to distribute and be a partner of Bond you must also co-finance this and this other project of mine). And either the distributor accepts that deal, or they don't get to distribute Bond in the first place.

The problem is this:
There's no doubt this is a shrewd move by MGM, but Deadline has learned it's not sitting well with the majors. Top execs at Sony and Fox and Paramount and Warner Bros who are all involved in the negotiations to distribute Bond "are growing increasingly frustrated with the way that the Spyglass duo are playing one studio off another -- and enjoying it," in the words of one exec involved. One studio even described its strategy to win Bond #23 was reduced recently to "pleading".
They are crossing the line fast, by trying to use the offer they receive from one to make the other studio raise theirs. And studios are not ok with it obviously. Which means we may be left with no deal at all.

What matters in all this though is the fact that MGM HAS NO MONEY. And they're so desperate to get a cash flow quick that they resort to this type of "strategy". This by the way also means that the famous 50% production costs partner for Bond still hasn't been found. And they resorted to this type of tactic to raise money in a different way. Bottomline: no cash flow, no production.

Also deadline.com is the Nikki Finke-run site... they are DEAD ON about news, they know everything before everyone else, and they are basically never wrong.
"Are we on coms?"
katied

Post by katied »

The Hobbit is getting started a bit late due to Peter Jackson having some health issues :cuss: Hope he manages to pull things together in time for it to be out in 2012 and to blow Bond 23 out of the water.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

If they're having issues with The Hobbitt too, that's why they're so desperate to rake in money quick.

About Bardem: he's definitely a good actor and a MUCH better prospect at a villain than the last two horrid ones. He at least CAN play the villain well so I would be happy if he were cast (then of course remains to be seen whether he's the Lord of Bolivian waters or what else LOL). Remains to be seen whether he accepts the role or not, but if he does, so far he's the best piece of news for Bond 23.
"Are we on coms?"
katied

Post by katied »

The Hobbit(when it happens) will be better than Bond 23! :lol:
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

Well that better be the case because if the Hobbit isn't a masterpiece and doesn't rake in a HUGE amount of money, MGM is screwed. And that means Bond is, too. So, I'm definitely rooting for it to be phenomenal.
"Are we on coms?"
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Ale wrote:Well that better be the case because if the Hobbit isn't a masterpiece and doesn't rake in a HUGE amount of money, MGM is screwed. And that means Bond is, too. So, I'm definitely rooting for it to be phenomenal.
The Hobbit = Phenomenon

Bond 23 = Nothing Special, Great or Not
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Home video is where the Hobbit can make MGM some solid dosh. Jackson's percentage of the gross and WBs cut will make it hard to turn a profit on BO alone unless it is a runaway Avatar type of deal.

Just a thought in passing, how much of this is Spyglass jerking the studios around and how much of it is the clusterfuck at MGM. I remember Spyglass was pushing for autonomy on deal making and some of the MGM Brass wanted a hand in the proceedings. Just a thought.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

As long as Eon's power over Bond lessens in the process.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

bjmdds wrote:As long as Eon's power over Bond lessens in the process.
Seems like that's exactly the case, since MGM and Spyglass are definitely calling the shots in terms of money. I'm unsure where this will end up, but it sure is a hot mess and what Mazer was saying from the start is clearly turning out to be right.
"Are we on coms?"
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... 645021085A
Bardem confirms James Bond talks

(UKPA) – 3 hours ago

Javier Bardem has confirmed that he has been in talks with Sam Mendes about appearing in Bond 23.

The Oscar-nominated Spanish star said he is considering playing James Bond's (Daniel Craig) nemesis in the forthcoming instalment, directed by Sam, and that it would be a tough role to turn down.

"They're changing the whole thing, the whole dynamic - I'd be playing Bond's nemesis, yes, but it's not that obvious," he told the LA Times.

"Everything is more nuanced. It's very intriguing."

Starring in a Bond movie has been a childhood dream of Javier's, who is now a proud dad after welcoming a newborn son with wife Penelope Cruz.

"I'm a huge fan of the James Bond saga. When I was little, I went watching Mr Connery doing James Bond with my father. Who in the world would think I'd be in one of those movies?" he revealed.

The Biutiful actor, who won an Oscar for his villainous turn as Anton Chigurh in the Coen Brothers' No Country For Old Men, reckons he gladly leaves work at work once he leaves the set.

"But who knows? Maybe I will go back home saying, 'I have the world in my hands'. Evil can be very seductive," he added.

Bond 23, which also stars Dame Judi Dench as Bond's boss M, is scheduled for release in November 2012.
katied

Post by katied »

"Not that obvious he's a villain"- interesting wording from Javier.Maybe his viillain will call everyone "friendo"! :lol:
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

katied wrote:"Not that obvious he's a villain"- interesting wording from Javier.Maybe his viillain will call everyone "friendo"! :lol:
He'll have a sign up on him when he sees bond instead of bonds name it'll say 'clearly not an evil villain who wants to kill bond' and tells bond thats foreign for welcome mr bond.
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

"They're changing the whole thing, the whole dynamic - I'd be playing Bond's nemesis, yes, but it's not that obvious," he told the LA Times.

"Everything is more nuanced. It's very intriguing."
I think this is a problem. Not a problem with the actor obviously but the goals of the director and producers. I don't see why bother making Bond 23 with Craig if it is his last or not he can only make maybe one more after it and there isn't much room to do anything else with his Bond, He is not Connery, he is not Dalton. It seems like they are still in the experimental phase and don't understand how close they can come to killing the series if they make another QOS. Although maybe it will be a QOS with a better pedigree.
............ :007:
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Javier Bardem wants to see a script first which will be a problem. Normally this is where they show the actor the door. I don't know what to make of how much freedom Mendes is being given. Apparently he is approaching people, without a finished script and pitching them his idea of what the movie will be like.

Still they can't sign anybody, indeed I doubt Mendes is signed. To Sign a director somebody has to pony up the money for the movie. Maybe there is an arrangement. But as of yet they do not have the money or the script. Honestly if Mendes wants it to happen he pretty much has to do it himself becuase time is very short. If we do not hear by early summer a script is in hand and who is funding/distributing then expect to hear grumblings of Mendes backing out or something else spectacular to delay production.

Code: Select all

A Fiennes choice for a Bond star
Licence to thrill: Actor Ralph Fiennes

Ralph Fiennes is being lined up as one of the stars of the next James Bond movie.

I can reveal that his Hollywood representatives are in discussions with the producers and director Sam Mendes about a role in the film that so far is known only as James Bond 23.

Mendes, who will direct Daniel Craig as Bond and Judi Dench as M, has spoken to Fiennes about ­taking on what has been described to me as ‘a darkly complex’ role.

Fiennes is not interested in the usual run-of-the-mill action ­picture, but he was intrigued when he was told of Mendes’s ‘revolutionary’ plans for Bond 23.

‘It’s the first of a new generation of Bond films, and the ideas Mendes has push the film into darker territory where the characters are modern, mature and challenging,’ a film executive in Los Angeles connected to the production told me.

At the moment, the situation with Fiennes is purely at the ­discussion stage.

I was told Fiennes was approached because ‘the part is one of extreme complexity and only an actor of great ability and dexterity can take it on — and Ralph’s name is top of our list’.

From what I can gather, it’s not the same part that’s being talked about for Javier Bardem.

I’m told a couple of other major names are being courted for roles in the picture.

At one point Kevin Spacey was spoken to about doing Bond 23, but he was alreadly gearing up to play Richard III, which Mendes is directing at the Old Vic from June 18.

Gemma Jones (so good in Woody Allen’s movie You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger) will also appear in the play, which is part of the Bridge Project, a transatlantic collaboration between the Old Vic, the Brooklyn Academy of Music and Neal Street ­Productions, the ­company run by Mendes with Caro Newling and Pippa Harris.

Fiennes has just been filming the role of the prime minister in David Hare’s BBC film Page Eight.

Before that, he filmed his final frame as Lord Voldemort for the last Harry Potter movie.
Next weekend, he travels to ­Germany, where his much ­anticipated film version of ­Coriolanus, featuring Vanessa Redgrave and Gerard Butler, will have its world premiere at the Berlin Film Festival.

Mendes and Fiennes are old friends, by the way. The actor led the director’s Royal Shakespeare Company production of Troilus And Cressida more than two ­decades ago. The play also ­featured Simon Russell Beale — who also may pop up in Bond 23.

Last December, I revealed that Kate Winslet will move to London while her estranged husband Mendes is directing Bond 23, bringing their children with her.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1353511/Summer-Strallen-new-stage-version-Top-Hat-Tom-Chambers.html
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Ralph is more Bond than DC is.
katied

Post by katied »

I wouldn't have minded Ralph as Bond :up:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Doesn't the Ralph Ffeines story come from the useless Baz Bamigboye at the Daily Mail?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:Doesn't the Ralph Ffeines story come from the useless Baz Bamigboye at the Daily Mail?
Must have done.
‘It’s the first of a new generation of Bond films, and the ideas Mendes has push the film into darker territory where the characters are modern, mature and challenging,’
Truly hope this is rubbish.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer