Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Bond 23 by.....

Post by Captain Nash »

I got this idea after reading recent posts concerning it would appear nearly everyone's issues with the writing of the Bond films.
I don't think I'm wrong in thinking that Purvis and Wade are generally not to everyone's taste as a writing team for the Bond series, and need to be let go, to give way to fresh blood who can reinvigorate the series.
So the idea came to me, that as the path the series is taking is considered worn out and tired, then perhaps as a little fun, and in a joint effort for those wishing to participate, we could conceive the story for Bond 23.
Now, the casting of Bond is not really the crux of this idea. By all means suggest an actor for the role, but the real goal is the type of Bond, and the way he acts.
Although it's only a bit of fun, I'd really like it if a more serious approach were taken when possible, rather than a few cheap jibes, or jokes.
I think it could be interesting to see, what we can come up with. Be it individually or preferably as a group.
That said, at present I have no idea how to get the ball rolling...
But I'm open to suggestions. :cheers:
katied

Re: Bond 23 by.....

Post by katied »

I'll have to get back to you on a story... :cheers:

They should get someone who's written for U.S. TV. I know it sounds crazy, but they can come up with great stuff(Law And Order-almost any of them, ER(the early seasons only, though),to name a few.
Bond77

Post by Bond77 »

Can SPECTRE come back?
Mr. Big
Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Big »

Cast a new actor and imply that he is carrying on from the Bond of Die Another Day. That was the Daniel Craig origin series can be seen as a seperate part of the Bond movie world.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Mr. Big wrote:Cast a new actor and imply that he is carrying on from the Bond of Die Another Day. That was the Daniel Craig origin series can be seen as a seperate part of the Bond movie world.
Yep, it needn't be stated outright. The presence of Samantha Bond as Moneypenny (preferably without a VR helmet this time)and John Cleese as Q (preferably playing it straighter than he did in DAD) would be enough to send out a signal that the real Bond is back, even if they only get one scene each.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

I'm not keen on Spectre..unless it's a reimagined, sort of "notSpectre",if that makes any sense.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I'd steer clear of SPECTRE for legal reasons as much as anything. The copyright status is still unclear. Quantum is SPECTRE in all but name anyway.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Plenty of good writers out there it wouldn't be difficult for Eon to find a unique fun idea to reinvigorate the series for a few movies.

Quantum, it was a lame decision to recycle the shadow organization motif, Bond fans had already seen it done to death in the earlier movies. Then again it wasn't really Bond fans they were after, I think they thought new fans wouldn't have seen the earlier movies and old fans would swoon at the concept. "OMG its just like Connery!"
Say what you will about the old formula at least it worked, I think if Toby Stephens hadn't been an Asian in the story line even the nay sayers would have appreciated DAD a little better.

They can't continue doing Bourne story lines where it is personally driven with a lot of one on one fighting with fellow agents. Take a page from the early films where Bond is sent on a unimportant mission (like Dr No, Thunderball) where events quickly take a turn revealing a threat of national importance. A threat of National Importance is the important part, the values of the British people are shared with the vast majority of the modern world, Americans in particular have a special affection for the former motherland. A plucky British agent, competent and raring to go, driven by a sense of duty to save harm befalling his country is a deserving narrative that resonates with the populace.

Keep it simple (K.I.S.S rule) don't delve into the ugly minutia of a battlefield like Afghanistan, Terrorism, or Drug war. Paint with broad strokes and in general terms most will not find offensive. A realistic villain is not necessary, probably better to be unreal on that front, Fleming did, and people face enough real life villains when they leave their front door every morning.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
katied

Post by katied »

They're keeping it something....but it sure as hell isn't simple! :lol:
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Great post Mazer.
Just the kind of input I was looking for, for this thread. Thanks. :up:
Mazer Rackham wrote:Quantum, it was a lame decision to recycle the shadow organization motif, Bond fans had already seen it done to death in the earlier movies. Then again it wasn't really Bond fans they were after, I think they thought new fans wouldn't have seen the earlier movies and old fans would swoon at the concept. "OMG its just like Connery!"
Say what you will about the old formula at least it worked, I think if Toby Stephens hadn't been an Asian in the story line even the nay sayers would have appreciated DAD a little better.
Gotta say, I agree with the whole Quantum thing. It's not something that really bothers me, and if they return it's not a big deal. But it's not an ideal direction imo.
Keep it simple. A great villain, and a story with less political or realistic elements. Or if we have realism, then make the threat something that will make the audience want Bond to stop it.
With QOS, no-one cared about the state of the Bolivian water plot. Now if they'd thrown in the electric company, some train stations and the odd hotel, then we could've seen Quantum become a monopoly player in the the Bond series.
:cheers:
John Drake
Commander
Location: Watching the first twenty James Bond films somewhere...

Post by John Drake »

Put Bond back in the Royal Navy for part of a film. It worked for John Gardner.
"He is very good-looking" Vesper Lynd
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

John Drake wrote:Put Bond back in the Royal Navy for part of a film. It worked for John Gardner.
They'd have to find a small uniform if it was Daniel Craig.
Bring back Bond!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I hated the way they called the Spectreesque group The Quantum Organisation after they decided to use Quantum of Solace as the title for Bond 22.

The obscure European mucky film actress who is bound to be cast as the Bond girl should have a better role too. :wink:
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

Those obscure actresses think being a Bond girl is going to make them a bigger star but the past few Bond girls are not household names.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:Those obscure actresses think being a Bond girl is going to make them a bigger star but the past few Bond girls are not household names.
Not many Bond girls have had much of a boost to their careers as a result, other than ones that were already well-known. like Halle Berry. Ursula Andress, Jane Seymour and Britt Ekland are about the only ones, I think.
katied

Post by katied »

I'd rather forget about some of them(Denise Richards comes right to mind! :lol: )
Mr. Big
Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Big »

I think the Bond producers prefer unknown actresses now as they are cheaper to hire.

Halle Berry was paid 4 million dollars for Die Another Day (http://www.the-movie-times.com/thrsdir/ ... .mv?hberry. I don't think lovely Olga got that much. :lol:
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

katied wrote:I'll have to get back to you on a story... :cheers:

They should get someone who's written for U.S. TV. I know it sounds crazy, but they can come up with great stuff(Law And Order-almost any of them, ER(the early seasons only, though),to name a few.
I think that's exactly what they should do. I work with US TV so I'm well aware of what's going on, and truth is that right now the best producers and screenwriters are on TV or come from TV, not from movies. There are heaps of great US TV writers who could write stories for Bond. Just to cite examples, Hawaii Five-0 (The new series, remake of the old one) has superb writers. They never overcomplicate things and they're great at putting in the story the right amount of humour. Plus the hot babes. :mrgreen: Not coincidentally, one of those writers was on the amazingly great writing crew for "Alias". I would say get JJ Abrams to write for Bond but he'd never do it. He's already doing it with the Mission:Impossible franchise, and if us fans have it our way, he'll also be busy with an "Alias" movie, so no can do. But that said, there are all the people who worked with him, his writing team, including for example Bob Orci (who is now on Hawaii Five 0 as exec producer) who are awesome writers and would write a great Bond story. Alias did have Bond elements but it wasn't copied at all. For example, Marshall was clearly the Alias version of Q on Bond, but it wasn't the same character at all. So I'm sure if they were to be involved, they'd do a great job, because they clearly already knew all that was Bond back then (which I would imagine anyone who starts writing a spy show would know). I think Jeff Eastin, the creator of White Collar, could be an excellent choice, too. I have no idea whether any of you have seen White Collar, but it is a great show. And the lead character, Neal Caffrey, although being a con artist, is VERY Bondian in the most classic sense of the term. I would say a mix of the Alias writers (for the action/gritty plus humor part) plus Eastin (for the more "refined" plot ideas plus the style and the classic banter between characters) is ideal to write a Bond movie.

As far as the story, I think there are two possible ways to go: you either try and get it from what's going on in the world, or you forget about that and keep it more "fantasy"-like. In the first case, I think both the Wikileaks events (news being leaked, national security threat blah blah) or for example the Mexico situation (narcos taking over the country) provide good starting points to develop a story. Otherwise, I think they need to have a new formidable villain to defeat, and yeah I'd stay away from Spectre because of the legal issue, and from Quantum because it's just the same thing with another name (plus I really, REALLY want no Craig references in future movies. UGH.). The plot in QoS was SO ridiculously and uselessly complicated that they need to keep it WAY simpler if they want it to be effective. Nobody cares about the water thing, besides.

I think keeping it simple with the new big baddie is the best thing: do something like SD-6 in Alias. SD-6 was a secret organization made up by EVIL CIA agents that went rogue and created their own "spy cell". And they traded in weapons, drugs, intelligence... something like that would work perfectly for Bond. The idea of the evil rogue agents group is good because Bond is all about secret services, so it would provide a great angle to start from and it would allow them to create lots of stories. And Bond could do the same as the protagonists of Alias in the first movie, he'd have to find out who these people actually are, and stop them in the short-term but without managing to take them down. Then the following movies would be all about the next big horrible thing the organization has come up with, with Bond fighting them. Eventually he'd have to take them down, but it's easy to see how this type of formula would allow them to go for maaany movies, each with a different plan.

Hm, now that I think about it, they should also cast David Anders as the bad guy on Bond. He was GREAT as Sark on Alias. And he can do a great British accent if needed. He could totally be one of the agents gone rogue who created this parallel intelligence organization with the goal of just making money and acquiring the most power as possible. As I said trading in weapons, drugs, intelligence... just about anything. I don't know if any of you were Alias fans or have seen the series (If you haven't you TOTALLY should, it's by far one of the best series of the past 10 years), but I think having that type of approach would work great for Bond. Obviously Bond has its own elements that would make things completely different.

As far as Bond girls ,they really need to do a lot better with casting. The last two were horrid (in QoS). And I truly disliked Eva Green, too. If Cavill were to be Bond (yeah, I know LOL) the only one I can think of right now is Taylor Cole. She is on a new show in the US, called "The Event". She's reeeally hot and she CAN act. And she's not all that famous yet, but known enough in the US on TV to be recognised by some of the public.
"Are we on coms?"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

If we're talking US TV writers, I'd like to put in a word for Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters. The created Reaper after a stint as lead writers on Law and Order: SVU, thus showing that they can do both humour and gritty crime drama equally well.

Over on this side of the Atlantic, I'd like to see Tony Jordan, creator of Spooks and Hustle, have a go at writing Bond. I believe he is a Fleming fan, though I'm not 100% sure about that.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them

Post by Captain Nash »

Anyone got any thoughts on a storyline for Bond 23?