Quantum Of Solace smashes Japanese record

Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Re: Quantum Of Solace smashes Japanese record

Post by Mazer Rackham »

crusading_saint wrote:Why is everyone saying that QOS made $6.5m on the opening 'weekend'? It didn't...its has made $6.5m since it's been playing, but the ACTUAL two-day (Japan does it oddly) weekend take was $3.56m, versus CR's $2.34m over the same time period (CR had made a total of $3.25 since it actually started playing).
It's an increase, certainly, but not a gigantic one. I know the higher figure certainly sounds more impressive, but I must be accurate here...:)
Source: Boxofficemojo.com
Plenty of countries have their BO numbers and days combined. I don't know why we don't have solution for this yet. It is straight forward, just report each day accurately. It seems there are hold overs for weekly reports.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
katied

Post by katied »

crusading_saint wrote:Why is everyone saying that QOS made $6.5m on the opening 'weekend'? It didn't...its has made $6.5m since it's been playing, but the ACTUAL two-day (Japan does it oddly) weekend take was $3.56m, versus CR's $2.34m over the same time period (CR had made a total of $3.25 since it actually started playing).
It's an increase, certainly, but not a gigantic one. I know the higher figure certainly sounds more impressive, but I must be accurate here...:)
Source: Boxofficemojo.com

I'll take Box Office Mojo's word on this one.
crusading_saint
Lieutenant

Post by crusading_saint »

I'll take Box Office Mojo's word on this one.
Yes, that's where the information from my post came from. I find them to be the most accurate box office site around.
katied

Post by katied »

Other people *ahem* might say it's made more. Box Office Mojo doesn't lie :P
crusading_saint
Lieutenant

I think you're misunderstanding my post - QOS did make $6.5m by the end of the weekend of Jan 25th, but the actual two-day take was only $3.46m - the other $3m was for previews before it actually opened - no-one inflated the grosses, but they did slightly exaggerate the report to make it seem like the two-day total was $6.5m, instead of that being the total gross so far.
$6.5m was an accurate total - for the total run SO FAR, but that amount was reported in such a way to make it sound better.
It's still an improvement on CR, though.
I've heard reports of the second week gross, but I'm waiting until Boxofficemojo reports it before commenting.
katied

Post by katied »

Oh no, I know... some :wink: around here might try to tell you it made more than that.
crusading_saint
Lieutenant

Well, Boxofficemojo has put up QOS' second weekend performance at the Japanese BO up, and it must be said, it's held up extremely well.
This week, QOS grossed $2.61m over the two day weekend. As mentioned before, last weekend's figure was $3.46m. QOS fell 25% - not a bad hold, really. Its two week total stands at an impressive $12.61m.
By comparison, CR grossed $2.34m in its opening two day weekend, then fell 29% to $1.66m. Its two week total stood at $7.01m.
Mind you, it's not really a fair comparison - as mentioned before, QOS made $3m in previews held the weekend before it opened wide (which were added to the opening weekend figure), so it's technically been open a few more days. However, even looking at CR's third week total - $9.46m - QOS is still ahead.
So, to sum up - QOS opened larger than CR, depreciated less in it's second weekend, has earned more money in the same time period, and is assured at this point to outgross it.
As ever - source is www.boxofficemojo.com.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

It deserves every penny for being such an epic and charming film. That Marc Forster is a genius and I can't believe Daniel Craig hasn't won any awards for his charismatic and delightful performance as a secret agent with one facial expression killing people for 90 minutes. I burned my copy of Goldfinger as soon as I got home from the cinema.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

James wrote:It deserves every penny for being such an epic and charming film. That Marc Forster is a genius and I can't believe Daniel Craig hasn't won any awards for his charismatic and delightful performance as a secret agent with one facial expression killing people for 90 minutes. I burned my copy of Goldfinger as soon as I got home from the cinema.
You're actually supposed to burn all of Roger Moore's copies instead, but you're getting there. :wink:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote:
James wrote:I burned my copy of Goldfinger as soon as I got home from the cinema.
You're actually supposed to burn all of Roger Moore's copies instead, but you're getting there. :wink:
I don't think Sir Roger would be too pleased if you burned all his copies of Goldfinger.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

stockslivevan wrote:
James wrote:It deserves every penny for being such an epic and charming film. That Marc Forster is a genius and I can't believe Daniel Craig hasn't won any awards for his charismatic and delightful performance as a secret agent with one facial expression killing people for 90 minutes. I burned my copy of Goldfinger as soon as I got home from the cinema.
I'll leave that task for everyone at MI6. Or Anhedonia.co.uk as it's also known.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

I had to look up "anhedonia". I just have this to say: :lol:
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

James wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:
I'll leave that task for everyone at MI6. Or Anhedonia.co.uk as it's also known.
Wouldn't that be a more fitting name for this site, given all the doom, gloom, negativity, etc.... :P
katied

Post by katied »

Really? I don't get that vibe from this place at all. :up:
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

katied wrote:Really? I don't get that vibe from this place at all. :up:
Really? A site that hunts and scours and scans the entire universe looking for bad reviews of all things Craig, that tries desperately to look for any angle to knock him, that tries to put a negative spin on anything Craig related (even BO numbers), that rejoices in every bad review out there, that prays and hopes he will be fired any minute now, etc.

I'd call that fairly negative vibes..... :wink:
katied

Post by katied »

Well, I disagree. I think it's pretty lighhearted myself, and not to be taken *too* seriously (which some(not you :wink:) do.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

katied wrote:Well, I disagree. I think it's pretty lighhearted myself, and not to be taken *too* seriously (which some(not you :wink:) do.
I believe many on here don't really take this subject that seriously, and there is some light-heartedness with many of the comments, but there are a few on here who have an unhealthy obsession with it, and are desperately looking for any angle to knock Craig, at whatever costs (although thankfully they are in the minority).
katied

Post by katied »

I choose not to post any of those articles... I just comment on them :wink:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Sweeney wrote:I believe many on here don't really take this subject that seriously, and there is some light-heartedness with many of the comments, but there are a few on here who have an unhealthy obsession with it, and are desperately looking for any angle to knock Craig, at whatever costs (although thankfully they are in the minority).
I think that's only really BJ.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Kristatos wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:I believe many on here don't really take this subject that seriously, and there is some light-heartedness with many of the comments, but there are a few on here who have an unhealthy obsession with it, and are desperately looking for any angle to knock Craig, at whatever costs (although thankfully they are in the minority).
I think that's only really BJ.
Yup.