Blofeld: A McClory rights Bond film?

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Re: Blofeld: A McClory rights Bond film?

Post by James »

Didn't Sean Connery come up with the robotic sharks with Len Deighton or something? In the Virgin Bond guide it says he worked on a script in the seventies for McClory eventually titled Warhead. Shrublands was a scuba diving school, Blofeld's base was the Statue of Liberty and a character was called Justine Lovesitt. I'd have paid money to watch that!
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

James wrote:Didn't Sean Connery come up with the robotic sharks with Len Deighton or something? In the Virgin Bond guide it says he worked on a script in the seventies for McClory eventually titled Warhead. Shrublands was a scuba diving school, Blofeld's base was the Statue of Liberty and a character was called Justine Lovesitt. I'd have paid money to watch that!
I just hope the sharks had fricking laser beams on their heads.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

James wrote:Didn't Sean Connery come up with the robotic sharks with Len Deighton or something? In the Virgin Bond guide it says he worked on a script in the seventies for McClory eventually titled Warhead. Shrublands was a scuba diving school, Blofeld's base was the Statue of Liberty and a character was called Justine Lovesitt. I'd have paid money to watch that!
Did the script ever make it the internet?
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

I'd like to state that my nuclear shark remark was sarcastic. I would never want something that f**king retarded on a Bond film. :shock: That's Roger Moore territory.
katied

Post by katied »

stockslivevan wrote:I'd like to state that my nuclear shark remark was sarcastic. I would never want something that f**king retarded on a Bond film. :shock: That's Roger Moore territory.
I hope everyone else is being sarcastic.Sorry but the robotic/nuclear sharks (with or without "frickin' laser beams on their heads") is OTT for a Bond film.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:I'd like to state that my nuclear shark remark was sarcastic. I would never want something that f**king retarded on a Bond film. :shock: That's Roger Moore territory.
wasn't there a script for Dalton with atomic robot or something?

I think the robot shark idea was played with after jaws be came big
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Dr. No wrote:
Yup, which was thankfully rejected on the spot. Michael France's GE script (before Bruce Feirstein and Jeffrey Caine rewrote it) was the last script written during when Dalton was still around.
I think the robot shark idea was played with after jaws be came big
Most likely.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:
Dr. No wrote:
Yup, which was thankfully rejected on the spot.
Not really. Sounds like it got pretty far.
Walt Disney's Imagineering division was contracted to supply designs for the high-tech robots that featured in the early screenplays. Form was to follow function, according to the treatment, so they would not have necessarily been robots in humanoid form - with the exception of the villainous 'Nan'. Apparently, first drafts of potential robot designs were completed and handed over to Eon.

here is the Dalton (1989) quote for all who have asked about it.
"My feeling is this will be the last one. I don`t mean my last one. I mean the end of the whole lot. I don`t speak with any real authority, but it`s sort of a feeling I have. Sorry!".
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I had no idea it went that far, thankfully it eventually was dropped on the long run. Haven't I posted a copy of the first GE script around these parts?
LilleOSC
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger

Post by LilleOSC »

What a bad idea. Somebody please stop this :shock: . PLEASE!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I know. I just like winding up the Craig fans because I know how terribly seriously they take their Bond, like Ian Fleming was a literary giant on a par with James Joyce.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Kristatos wrote:
I know. I just like winding up the Craig fans because I know how terribly seriously they take their Bond, like Ian Fleming was a literary giant on a par with James Joyce.
Meanwhile, on the other hand I wouldn't expect Fleming to be on par with Austin Powers either...
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

The Sweeney wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
Meanwhile, on the other hand I wouldn't expect Fleming to be on par with Austin Powers either...
Bang on.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Sweeney wrote:Meanwhile, on the other hand I wouldn't expect Fleming to be on par with Austin Powers either...
But Austin Powers is influenced by Fleming, therefore an Austin Powers influence is a Fleming influence. At least, that's the logic you use to justify the Bourne mimicry (to steal BJ's phrase).
katied

Post by katied »

Bringing back the Austin Powers stuff with the Blofeld movie is stupid. It's fair comment to say they're setting themselves up for failure, even.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

If QoS was anything to go by the main influence on James Bond now is eighties Chuck Norris films.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

James wrote:If QoS was anything to go by the main influence on James Bond now is eighties Chuck Norris films.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures that James Bond allows to live.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
James wrote:If QoS was anything to go by the main influence on James Bond now is eighties Chuck Norris films.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures that James Bond allows to live.
I don't know what rights he has, if indeed he has the McClory rights. Maybe he can take it back to court.
QoS and evolution makes me wonder if he does succeed in getting McClory's rights recognised would CR and QoS have any problems since Eon brought back some of the Blofled plot and SPECTRE organisation. There was always specter hanging over the original Bond movies because a lot of it McClory could put a claim to and tired many times with the United Kingdom High Courts siding with him continuously.

McClory and his company Spectre are suing MGM/UA/Danjaq for their infringement of various McClory owned James Bond properties, including the film rights of the novel Thunderball, in many of their James Bond films. These include the original nuclear blackmail formula created exclusively for “Thunderball” in 1960 (which Bond fans will recognise in countless films made by MGM/UA/Danjaq); the organisation Spectre and other important elements, all of which McClory has and does own to MGM/UA/Danjaq's full knowledge.

The case was last heard during McClory's unavoidable absence in the Federal District Court on April 4th, 2000 and dismissed when it was ruled that McClory and Spectre Associates Inc. had failed to bring their copyright infringement claim against MGM/UA/Danjaq in a timely fashion.

McClory's absence was due to the death of his sister in law, wife of his disabled brother for fifty years. McClory's request for a one-week continuance of the trial, enabling him to attend the funeral in Europe and comfort his only brother, was denied even though the same judge had granted MGM/UA/Danjaq a three month continuance to attend premieres of a James Bond film. During McClory's absence, the judge decided to bifocate (divide into two) the case , despite having twice denied requests for bifocation from MGM/UA/Danjaq. As a result, the hearing on Laches unexpectedly commenced and the jury trial was cancelled. Assistant Producer and Danjaq executive, Michael Wilson, was MGM/UA/Danjaq's sole witness.

Under oath, he claimed that there were no live witnesses to assist the Danjaq/MGM/UA parties defence against McClory’s claims declaring “..except for Mr. McClory, the people involved are all dead.”

Contrary to Wilson’s deliberately misleading evidence, there are many witnesses alive and well today including his mother, Mrs Albert (Dana) Broccoli. Wilson's mother publicly claimed, after the district court hearing, that she had helped write some of the screenplays involved in McClory's infringement claims.

Many witnesses are still alive, most of whom worked on the infringing films and their respective film deals. These include MGM/UA/Danjaq executives who appear in documentaries made on behalf of MGM/UA and included on the DVD's of the various infringing James Bond films they released after the Laches hearing.

The copyright infringement claim was dismissed on MGM/UA/Danjaq's defence of Laches and the evidence of their only witness. As a result of McClory's denial for a continuance and a last minute visa problem, McClory was not present as a witness to refute the false evidence presented by MGM/UA/Danjaq and his other listed witnesses were not called.

Subsequently, the case was dismissed without McClory being allowed a jury trial or the opportunity to have his evidence properly examined to establish whether MGM/UA/Danjaq had infringed McClory's copyrighted James Bond properties. McClory's rights to make more James Bond films, based on the McClory owned scripts and/or the film rights of the novel Thunderball, have been consistently upheld by the courts of the United Kingdom. These include an appeal before three Lord Justices sitting in the High Court of Appeal in London, England.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:I don't know what rights he has, if indeed he has the McClory rights. Maybe he can take it back to court.
The only rights McClory ever had were to keep remaking Thunderball, as far as I can tell. Blofeld wasn't written out of TSWLM because EON expected McClory to win his threatened lawsuit, but because they didn't want the production to be delayed by legal action. And the more recent court case with McClory ruled that EON had the rights to make all future Bond films. So I don't think this guy has a leg to stand on legally. If I was McClory, I would have made a film with a secondary character from TB, where I might be on firmer ground. I think a Paula Kaplan movie (set before her untimely demise in TB, obviously) could work. A film about a sexy female secret agent based in the Bahamas would be pretty cool, I think.
katied

Post by katied »

Just remaking Thunderball in various crappy ways? Thanks, but I'll pass :?