Cate Blanchett: please let me play a Bond villain

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Cate Blanchett is so keen to play a Bond villain that she would be “there in a heartbeat” if the producers came calling.
By Anita Singh, Showbusiness Editor

7:00AM GMT 29 Feb 2012
The 43-year-old actress said she would be happy to play an unglamorous baddie, citing Rosa Klebb in From Russia With Love (played by Lotte Lenya) as her favourite character.

Asked by Harper’s Bazaar magazine if she would like to appear in the next James Bond film, Blanchett replied: “Oh, God, yes! I’d be there in a heartbeat.

“I love Lotte Lenya. She had a club foot and a limp. I’m not a purist in that way.”

Blanchett also expressed an interest in portraying Diana, Princess of Wales on screen, although since the interview was carried out it has been announced that Naomi Watts will play the late princess in a forthcoming biopic.

Her two latest projects are Terrence Malick films: Lawless, in which she appears with Ryan Gosling, and Knight of Cups, with Natalie Portman and Christian Bale.

However, Blanchett said she was unsure how prominent her roles will be. “I can’t guarantee I’ll end up in [the final cut], as is his wont,” she said of the director’s methods. Famously, Adrien Brody believed he had the lead role in Malick’s The Thin Red Line, only to attend a screening and find his performance had been cut to two lines.

Elsewhere in the interview, the Australian actress revealed that her husband, playwright Andrew Upton, has a novel line in gifts.

“My husband went through a phase of giving me vacuum cleaners, sewing machines and Mixmasters,” she laughed. “It’s ironic. He is encouraging me to develop a hobby, I think.”

But she added: “An actress once advised me, ‘Make sure you do your own laundry - it will keep you honest’.”

Blanchett lived in Britain from 1997-2006 until she and Upton moved to Australia, where they run the Sydney Theatre Company and raise their children Dashiell, 10, Roman, seven, and three-year-old Ignatius.

She is returning this April to appear in Big and Small at the Barbican, as part of the London 2012 Festival.

It is her first London theatre role in 13 years and one that has earned her great acclaim in Australia, where one critic hailed it as “the performance of Blanchett’s career”.

:: The full interview is in the April issue of Harper’s Bazaar, on sale Thursday

"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Cate Blanchett: please let me play a Bond villain

Post by FormerBondFan »

The elf needs to wait until DC's out of the game.
katied

Post by katied »

I like Cate Blanchett but..no.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

katied wrote:I like Cate Blanchett but..no.
Indy 4 is good enough for her.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I do like her love of Bond. I think she could do just about any role bad or good she would like to do in Bond. I think I'd like her in Bond because I lover her passion for Bond.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I can see her as the main villain. But with LOTR and Indy 4, I think there's better things for her out there than Bond.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Yes but the fact she wants to do a down and dirty old school Bond role is awesome!
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Dr. No wrote:Yes but the fact she wants to do a down and dirty old school Bond role is awesome!
But this would have to wait until DC's out.