The Book of Bond by Kingsley Amis

Fiction and Nonfiction Book Discussions and Reviews
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

The Book of Bond by Kingsley Amis

Post by The Sweeney »

I've just bought this edition of The Book of Bond -

Cost me 40 quid on ebay too for this 60's Pan edition. Anyone else here read it before?
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: The Book of Bond by Kingsley Amis

Post by Blowfeld »

So you were the blighter bidding against me! ;) :lol:

I am jealous, what a wonderful find and it couldn't have a better owner either. Someone who will certainly appreciate it and take care of it.

I do not believe I had the pleasure of reading this book, I know for sure I never had my hands on the "Bill" Turner edition. Might have another edition of it if it was republished. Probably thumbed throu it if so and might have a copy since I can't help but buy most Bond related books that come across my path. To give them a good home you know :)
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Blowfeld wrote:So you were the blighter bidding against me! ;) :lol:

I am jealous, what a wonderful find and it couldn't have a better owner either. Someone who will certainly appreciate it and take care of it.

I do not believe I had the pleasure of reading this book, I know for sure I never had my hands on the "Bill" Turner edition. Might have another edition of it if it was republished. Probably thumbed throu it if so and might have a copy since I can't help but buy most Bond related books that come across my path. To give them a good home you know :)
Actually no Blofeld. You must have been bidding against another Bond-crazed fan similar to me, as I bought this as a Buy Now item on ebay. :lol:

40 quid though!!! :shock:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:I know for sure I never had my hands on the "Bill" Turner edition.
I think you mean Bill Tanner.

Bill Tanner

Bill Turner

See the difference?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Wait you are only confusing me more. Wasn't Bootstrap Bill Bond's only friend in the service and why is there a starfish on Daniel Craig's face? :lol:

I do have a copy of this book

Did a little looking and found this
The Book Of Bond

This book was written by Kingsley Amis under the pseudonym of Lt-Col-William ("Bill") Tanner, the name of the Chief of Staff in the British Secret Service and one of James Bond's best friends.

Firmly tongue-in-cheek it claims to be manual to become a 007, hence the subtitle "Every Man His Own 007" and is broken into chapters such as Drink, Food, Smokes, Cars and of course Girls. With reference to the books, it sets out how anyone can become James Bond, with time studying how to be, and without the danger of being the real James Bond.

One particularly interesting feature of the British hard cover edition is the reversible cover, claiming to be "The Bible Revised To Be Read As Literature" - it features in one of the books, hollowed out to make way for a gun.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
mcbride007
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
For Your Eyes Only

Post by mcbride007 »

It sounds like a cool book, but if I owned the Sweeney's copy I would be selling it for £40 on Ebay. :oops: :lol:
katied

Post by katied »

Kristatos wrote:
Blowfeld wrote:I know for sure I never had my hands on the "Bill" Turner edition.
I think you mean Bill Tanner.

Bill Tanner

Bill Turner

See the difference?

It DOES look like Daniel Craig(tho I know it's not) :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

mcbride007 wrote:It sounds like a cool book, but if I owned the Sweeney's copy I would be selling it for £40 on Ebay. :oops: :lol:
It's quite a good book (if a tad short), but worth 40 quid??
Probably not, other than the fact it is a 60's Pan edition (which I am a collector of).