The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Mazer Rackham »

What input Sony had was tragic still Craig was Babs choice before Sony was a factor. Sony did try to get Craig to give up the role with a 24 hour screen test, eventually he did give up telling Babs if that was not enough it was never going to happen. Danny boy was only one persons choice after it's official he is supported by all concerned, just the way the business works. Perceptions are reality.

The reboot is a mix of factors strongest being the concept was edgy at the time the other Craig was and is incapable of playing Ian Fleming's James Bond. The first book was a good a excuse as any even though the concept the movie was built on "Bond Begins" is no where in those pages. Also Vesper was never the "one" as producers and writers continue to claim. She was important to Bond however I doubt she held a candle to some of the other girls never mind Mrs Bond who's death destroyed Bond creating one of the more interesting story arcs of modern literature.

MGM had sour relations with Sony for a long time, aside from the partnerships outside Bond failing there were not happy with Sony performance in other areas. WB has fostered good will with a successful track record. No doubt from the studios perspective the Hobbit movies and other projects were a dream compared to the logistic nightmare Sony is.

By the way Dragon Tattoo starting the aging curmudgeon Craig didn't make money was it was supposed to -MGM was $10m shy of breaking even on their end Sony even further behind.

I do believe the recent Bond movies are reflective of Sony's influence and Sony was being run by some of the biggest idiots in the business -their personalities and way of thinking jelled well with two of the bigger idiots in Hollywood (Babs and Mikey). However there are some people in EON serious about the legacy Bond has and if their voices can carry weight then the studio behind the Man From Uncle might not be a bad home.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:I fear that the damage is already done, though. Sony was responsible for the reboot, for sucking all the fun out of Bond, and I understand that it was them who pushed for Daniel Craig. But unless SPECTRE flops at the box office, which is unlikely, I can't see Warner or whoever changing course now.
SPECTRE maybe won't flop but I can't see the movie surpassing Skyfall or anywhere near 1 billion. The script is out and everybody could read the content...
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

Mazer Rackham wrote:What input Sony had was tragic still Craig was Babs choice before Sony was a factor. Sony did try to get Craig to give up the role with a 24 hour screen test, eventually he did give up telling Babs if that was not enough it was never going to happen. Danny boy was only one persons choice after it's official he is supported by all concerned, just the way the business works. Perceptions are reality.

The reboot is a mix of factors strongest being the concept was edgy at the time the other Craig was and is incapable of playing Ian Fleming's James Bond. The first book was a good a excuse as any even though the concept the movie was built on "Bond Begins" is no where in those pages. Also Vesper was never the "one" as producers and writers continue to claim. She was important to Bond however I doubt she held a candle to some of the other girls never mind Mrs Bond who's death destroyed Bond creating one of the more interesting story arcs of modern literature.

MGM had sour relations with Sony for a long time, aside from the partnerships outside Bond failing there were not happy with Sony performance in other areas. WB has fostered good will with a successful track record. No doubt from the studios perspective the Hobbit movies and other projects were a dream compared to the logistic nightmare Sony is.

By the way Dragon Tattoo starting the aging curmudgeon Craig didn't make money was it was supposed to -MGM was $10m shy of breaking even on their end Sony even further behind.

I do believe the recent Bond movies are reflective of Sony's influence and Sony was being run by some of the biggest idiots in the business -their personalities and way of thinking jelled well with two of the bigger idiots in Hollywood (Babs and Mikey). However there are some people in EON serious about the legacy Bond has and if their voices can carry weight then the studio behind the Man From Uncle might not be a bad home.
Hi Mazer! I am in complete agreement. A change of distribution studio will significantly impact the way Bond is approached, and like you said, having the studio behind Man From Uncle behind Bond definitely would not be a bad thing. It's extremely clear from emails that Sony had a LOT of impact on the stupidity that was produced. And, it doesn't matter what Spectre does or doesn't do at the box office, a new distributor with such a different approach, means a different approach for Bond, regardless of Spectre. They'd have changed it ANYWAY after what happened at Sony, but even more so now with a new distributor. And I sure as hell am hoping it's WB. Bonus? WB has Henry Cavill. They have both Superman and Man from Uncle.
"Are we on coms?"
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

Veronica wrote:
Kristatos wrote:I fear that the damage is already done, though. Sony was responsible for the reboot, for sucking all the fun out of Bond, and I understand that it was them who pushed for Daniel Craig. But unless SPECTRE flops at the box office, which is unlikely, I can't see Warner or whoever changing course now.
SPECTRE maybe won't flop but I can't see the movie surpassing Skyfall or anywhere near 1 billion. The script is out and everybody could read the content...
Could if have had a re-write, however hastily? Afterall, they were still tinkering with TND, after they started filming. I havn't read the Spectre script and don't intend to. I will see the finished product when it's released on DVD.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Alessandra wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote:What input Sony had was tragic still Craig was Babs choice before Sony was a factor. Sony did try to get Craig to give up the role with a 24 hour screen test, eventually he did give up telling Babs if that was not enough it was never going to happen. Danny boy was only one persons choice after it's official he is supported by all concerned, just the way the business works. Perceptions are reality.

Hi Mazer! I am in complete agreement. A change of distribution studio will significantly impact the way Bond is approached, and like you said, having the studio behind Man From Uncle behind Bond definitely would not be a bad thing. It's extremely clear from emails that Sony had a LOT of impact on the stupidity that was produced. And, it doesn't matter what Spectre does or doesn't do at the box office, a new distributor with such a different approach, means a different approach for Bond, regardless of Spectre. They'd have changed it ANYWAY after what happened at Sony, but even more so now with a new distributor. And I sure as hell am hoping it's WB. Bonus? WB has Henry Cavill. They have both Superman and Man from Uncle.
Superman :!: :!: :!: Solo :!: :!: :!: :!: Could it FINALLY become reality after a 13 year nightmare that the 7th 007 (the most important choice since Connery, as it being the number "7") could be the Cavill specimen :?: :cheers: :idea: :up: Even FBF will be be elated to see the green vegetable 'chopped' down to size creatively by WB :!:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Veronica wrote:
Doesn't mean that everybody will. I've seen several people say they don't want to read it because they don't want to spoil the film for themselves when it comes out. I don't think it will do quite as well as Skyfall because there were some factors such as the Olympics and the 50th anniversary that boosted its success. Then again, with rampant ticket price inflation, it may make more money even if it sells fewer tickets.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:Any UK members going to the VUE Cinema Bond double-bills? I have had my TLD/LTK double bill tickets for weeks. That'll be my Bond cinematic fix for this year. So excited to see my two favourite Bond films on the big screen. :D :007:
I'd have to pop into London to watch the VUE specials. The showing of the Laurel and Hardy film Sons of the Desert would be fun too.
Bring back Bond!
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

James wrote:I don't know if anyone has posted this anywhere. I noticed it on AIC about ten minutes ago.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/71733

Is 007 bound for Warner?

Published at: June 2, 2015, 2:35 p.m. CST

Many of us got used to the United Artists logo appearing before the famous Bond fanfare, as it opened (and continues to open, on video) the first 18 official 007 adventures. Even after MGM merged with the company in 1981, the UA logo still would introduce the Bond flicks all the way through TOMORROW NEVER DIES. After MGM released THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH and DIE ANOTHER DAY solo, their financial situation had become such that they had to partner with Sony to release the four (to date) Daniel Craig Bonds.

However, those rights expire after SPECTRE, and word is that Warner Bros. is probably the one with the best chance of scooping them up.

While MGM has partnered with Sony on a great number of projects over the past few years, the biggest hits they’ve been involved in, by a wide margin, have been the HOBBIT movies, which Warner (thanks to their ownership of New Line) was in charge of distributing. The two studios also have a few co-productions on the docket, like CREED and BARBERSHOP 3, and apparently MGM and WB’s head honchos (Gary Barber and Kevin Tsujihara, respectively) are quite chummy. Add to that the not-at-all-widely-reported personnel shakeup at Sony that may have left MGM a bit cool (even if Amy Pascal had her own particular thoughts on where the Bond franchise should go), and it makes sense that after SPECTRE, the next studio logo we’ll see before getting shot in the eye by James’ Walther will likely be Warner’s everlasting shield.

And with Warner’s rep for not fiddling and letting the creatives do their thing, that sounds like good news, no?
Great news. :up: :up:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

carl stromberg wrote:
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:Any UK members going to the VUE Cinema Bond double-bills? I have had my TLD/LTK double bill tickets for weeks. That'll be my Bond cinematic fix for this year. So excited to see my two favourite Bond films on the big screen. :D :007:
I'd have to pop into London to watch the VUE specials. The showing of the Laurel and Hardy film Sons of the Desert would be fun too.
Carl, you watch that film right here in our forum :!: [video][/video] Enjoy :!:
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.

Post by ml94 »

New studio & new bond actor... :cheers:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

EON's recent board room dinner: [video][/video]
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

carl stromberg wrote:
By the sound of the new restoration the films have gone under, it would be worth it. I can't wait to hear Kamen's Bond theme through cinema speakers. 8)
bjmdds wrote:EON's recent board room dinner: [video][/video]

:wink:
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

SO...I showed my mom a trailer for U.N.C.L.E. because she loves Hugh Grant and he appears briefly in the trailer and half-way through she said:"This is like James Bond." :D :D
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

Not a fan of the U.NC.L.E., so I am not bothered by who they cast, or how they screw it up.
ml94
Single O

Post by ml94 »

Veronica wrote:SO...I showed my mom a trailer for U.N.C.L.E. because she loves Hugh Grant and he appears briefly in the trailer and half-way through she said:"This is like James Bond." :D :D
:up: :up:
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

The talk of Jason Statham being a possible candidate for Bond has got the Craig fans saying how he's too thuggish looking and more suitable for a henchman. While I agree, I can't help but laugh at the irony of it all.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

The Saint 007 wrote:The talk of Jason Statham being a possible candidate for Bond has got the Craig fans saying how he's too thuggish looking and more suitable for a henchman. While I agree, I can't help but laugh at the irony of it all.

:lol: :lol: :lol: CRAIG fans often have double standards. I once read how TWINE was too melo-dramatic and explored the characters too much.. Isn't that the whole propagadna of Craig films? :lol: That got me wondered which Casino Royale did they watch? Armour,soul,shield dialogue anyone? Kissing hands under the water? Melodramatic behaving while you have NO air?I could go on...
As for Statham while he certainly isn't a Bond material if we go by standards of real James Bond compared to Craig in terms of suavity and charisma he is freaking Roger Moore!
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The Saint 007 wrote:The talk of Jason Statham being a possible candidate for Bond has got the Craig fans saying how he's too thuggish looking and more suitable for a henchman. While I agree, I can't help but laugh at the irony of it all.
actually IMO he is thuggish but a lot ore likeable and believable as a hero.

He pretty much said he'd never be bond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

He is not Bond..............WB and Cavill.........there really is no other choice now. Age? :up: ........looks? :up: .........popular? :up: :martini: All Henry will need is a 10 minute conversation between the head of WB and ALE once the new deal goes through. That will lock up Bond for 15 years with the proper franchise ambassador :!: Image