The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

Great list so far FBF. I can just see Big Daddy V as Bond in 2022 for Broccoli :!:
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

bjmdds wrote:FBF pegged this last year..........it's all over.......the new Bond films are not for us. For this film to gross over $200 million in the USA is ridiculous. Times are changing and not for the good. Keep churning out those protest avatars for FBF's directive is in full mode now :!:
I told you SF would be huge at the BO. I predicted this once we saw Craig do his bit with the Queen at the Olympics. Who knows, SF may go on to top TB as the No.1 film. It is currently in the no. 4 spot now.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

The Sweeney wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:
Goldeneye wrote:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:Happy Thanksgiving to the US members. :cheers:

BJ do you mean the Laurel and Hardy March of the Wooden soldiers?
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

March of the Wooden Soldiers haven't seen that one in ages. I heard they are doing a 3D treatment of it! :shock:
I don't think March of the Wooden Soldiers has ever been on UK tv but all the other shorts and films have been.

I like the short where Charlie Hall has the bucket of lard put on his head by Laurel and Hardy:

I'd like this as my alternative protest avatar. :wink:
L&H are my all-time favourites......I have the entire box set collection!! :cheers:
:cheers: I'll be watching some Laurel and Hardy over Christmas!
Bring back Bond!
English Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, CR, TB, LALD

Post by English Agent »

Reading an excerpt from Boxofficemojo today, their estimates for SF are pretty much what i wrote here yesterday.

$900mil + a certainty for SF,........$1 billion would depend on large grosses in Japan and China.

What i didnt know, was that yesterdays reported International grosses didnt include territories where SF is distributed by MGM, hence the weekend tally should go up a little soon.

SF is still going very strong in the UK, and is over $144 mil now, and looks set to overtake Avatar's $150 mil soon as the alltime BO champ here (not taking into account inflation though).

Regarding 'Sweeneys' comments about SF overtaking TB...........well it certainly wont overtake GF and TB in the US, but without looking into data, i'd imagine SF will become 3rd biggest Bond worldwide, due to the fact that the International markets are bigger now than they were in the 60's, because Western films are now played in Russia, India, China and so forth!
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Sweeney wrote:
bjmdds wrote:FBF pegged this last year..........it's all over.......the new Bond films are not for us. For this film to gross over $200 million in the USA is ridiculous. Times are changing and not for the good. Keep churning out those protest avatars for FBF's directive is in full mode now :!:
I told you SF would be huge at the BO. I predicted this once we saw Craig do his bit with the Queen at the Olympics. Who knows, SF may go on to top TB as the No.1 film. It is currently in the no. 4 spot now.
I think Babs should go a black Bond. Or perhaps even better......an Asian Bond.....and freaks & weirdos Bond.
Last edited by FormerBondFan on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The Sweeney wrote:
You win Sweeney. Congratulations. You got what you wanted. As Nicholson said to Cruise on the witness stand in A Few Good Men, "all you did today is weaken a nation". EON has ruined the franchise for the traditionalists and all those with perfect vision. I await you joing us once Elba replaces Cr-egg, unless SHE picks George The Animal Steele instead.
Last edited by bjmdds on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

What's the next after DC? Black Bond? Asian Bond? Indian Bond? Freaks & Weirdos Bond? Ponytail Bond? Robot Bond (as Bond being played by a robot)? Animal Bond (as Bond being played monkeys, sharks, tigers, lions...you name them),? Alien Bond (as Bond being played by aliens)?

Thoughts on this, BJ?
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Already have a Monkey Bond.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The Sweeney wrote:
You think it will sell 166 million tickets? :shock:
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

FBF, there's only one actor alive, with the same lack of character, neanderthalic look, I.Q. and lack of charisma, who can replace Cr-egg as Bond, according to Broccoli's new specifications ...............
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:FBF, there's only one actor alive, with the same lack of character, neanderthalic look, I.Q. and lack of charisma, who can replace Cr-egg as Bond, according to Broccoli's new specifications ...............
Is there anyone out there in the same league as The Animal? The Animal himself is too old.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

You want someone like George but younger? George has the correct cranial features.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:You want someone like George but younger? George has the correct cranial features.
I remember seeing this wrestler from 2 years ago, and he has the same look and mannerism as The Animal. He's a newbie.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

On IMDb, I'm always seeing these threads about the possibility of a black Bond. I even saw a vote for a black Bond thread today! And Barbara Broccoli might just be crazy enough to do it. FormerBondFan was absolutely right about the whole sending in the freaks to play Bond. Anything goes now with this series.

By the way,FormerBondFan, you could also add scruffy unshaven self-employed landscaping contractors to your list. Craig proved that look works well for Bond in Skyfall.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

All joking aside, I do know that Henry Cavill is still atop the list for new Bond. And I don't understand all the complaining considering Skyfall DID improve many of the things that we were complaining about. It is FAR from perfect mainly because of very weak Bond girls and of course a man who looks 100 years old with no class as Bond, but given the course things had taken with QoS, I'd be happy they clearly rectified it if I were you guys. And just so we can make it clear, here is the latest photo of the future James Bond.

On IMDb, I'm always seeing these threads about the possibility of a black Bond. I even saw a vote for a black Bond thread today! And Barbara Broccoli might just be crazy enough to do it. FormerBondFan was absolutely right about the whole sending in the freaks to play Bond. Anything goes now with this series.

By the way,FormerBondFan, you could also add scruffy unshaven self-employed landscaping contractors to your list. Craig proved that look works well for Bond in Skyfall.
LOL you read IMDB? The most unreliable and craziest place ever. You have courage, my friend. And, yes there have always been threads about "Black Bond". Always. It still never happened, and it's still not happening, not for a matter of race but because that is not who the character is. Bond is a WASP... I've had a chat about this with a very nice, smart guy on AJB and he, being a black guy, said he'd never have wanted to see a black actor as Bond. It's not something that's going to happen, period. I think it's also wrong to validate that type of pointless discussion by bringing it up here. What matters here is having a healthy franchise that goes on for a future actor, and we all know that Elba is not the future. Henry Cavill and others can be, certainly not Elba (whom I like but if it had to be a black Bond then sorry, they'd have had to pick an American named Denzel Washington ages ago, not Elba. Or my friend Mehcad Brooks now.)
Last edited by Alessandra on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Are we on coms?"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Alessandra wrote:All joking aside, I do know that Henry Cavill is still atop the list for new Bond. And I don't understand all the complaining considering Skyfall DID improve many of the things that we were complaining about. It is FAR from perfect mainly because of very weak Bond girls and of course a man who looks 100 years old with no class as Bond, but given the course things had taken with QoS, I'd be happy they clearly rectified it if I were you guys.
Yes and no. The problem, as i've said elsewhere is that Skyfall is a weird hybrid of Classic Bond and emo Haggis Bond. Audiences seem to respond to the former, but it's the latter that critics go gaga over. The danger is that EON will take the wrong message from Skyfall, concluding that its success was due to its "damaged, vulnerable Bond" with mommy issues and giving us another QOS rather than another GF.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

Kristatos wrote:
Alessandra wrote:All joking aside, I do know that Henry Cavill is still atop the list for new Bond. And I don't understand all the complaining considering Skyfall DID improve many of the things that we were complaining about. It is FAR from perfect mainly because of very weak Bond girls and of course a man who looks 100 years old with no class as Bond, but given the course things had taken with QoS, I'd be happy they clearly rectified it if I were you guys.
Yes and no. The problem, as i've said elsewhere is that Skyfall is a weird hybrid of Classic Bond and emo Haggis Bond. Audiences seem to respond to the former, but it's the latter that critics go gaga over. The danger is that EON will take the wrong message from Skyfall, concluding that its success was due to its "damaged, vulnerable Bond" with mommy issues and giving us another QOS rather than another GF.
And if they do that, they'll have another horrid movie like QoS and pay the price at the box office. It's very simple how this business works. What determines the success of a movie is people going to see it, not critics. I think they're well aware that they FIXED the aspects that people demanded fixed, so they won't go back to the ridiculousness that was QoS (or even CR for that matter, I will always repeat that the movie was not NEARLY as good as many made it out to be. At all. Boring, stale, terrible portrayal of Vesper and Bond was a joke in the second half of the movie). They did fix up some of the things that people demanded fixed, that is evident. They are well aware that is what made the difference from QoS to this. Of course remains to be seen what the next movie will be like, but like I said, I do not think they want to lose money by going back to something like QoS.
"Are we on coms?"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Alessandra wrote: And if they do that, they'll have another horrid movie like QoS and pay the price at the box office.
That's what I'm afraid of. I mean, it might be a good thing if it finally gets the message home, but we'd still have to suffer another abortion like QOS in order to get there. The waters are muddied by Craggy still being in the role. If Skyfall had been made with someone like Henry Cavill, the message would have been unequivocal: Bond is back and audiences love him. But it wasn't, and audiences have shown that they simply don't care if Bond is completely miscast.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Alessandra wrote:All joking aside, I do know that Henry Cavill is still atop the list for new Bond.
You can forget about Henry as Bond.........especially when you have a tyrant producer.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

To be honest even if some miracle had occurred and Barbara had cast some dark handsome male model type like Cavill as Bond for Skyfall I would still have disliked the movie.