The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:I thought that some of you Cavill fans would have reported this already:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=43550

West has some action pedigree, so I guess this is in safe hands. As a fan of the books, I am happy to see this gaining traction.
I think I remember something about this series earlier but this is good news. I doubt he'll be bond after starting his own spy series , not that he had much of a chance being as big a name as he has become.

But starting his own production company is taking a page out of Brosnans book. Smart movie to avoid type casting. Why did crag never do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:Can Broccoli even regain any credibility after what she has done? The plots are are sick as Cr-egg is as Bond, and SHE is the one behind it all, with her emasculinization and ruination of the francise. I cannot see the next film topping SF at the box office.
What she did to Pierce was unforgivable. If you think she can regain her credibility, then you're a minion without even realizing it, and I mean it. She only cares about herself and her ego.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

If Broccoli hires Cavill, and gets a proper action director, and returns to the Connery-esque style of Bond, it will amaze all and the masses will quickly forget the 'egg era for good..........but I doubt that can occur with her still the head cabbage........screenrant:" The James Bond franchise has, during Daniel Craig’s run as Agent 007, shifted away from the camp and irony that was inherent to the movie property before then, but Man from U.N.C.L.E. appears to follow Kingsman‘s lead – and embrace more of that playful tone with its cloak and dagger antics. It doesn’t appear that Man from U.N.C.L.E. plays its ’60s backdrop for laughs like an Austin Powers movie would, but it does seem to be presenting its setting with style – and harkening back to a spirit of escapism and allure that was popular during the decade (think Charade), but with a modern edge to the proceedings." Image
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

Omega wrote:
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:I thought that some of you Cavill fans would have reported this already:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=43550

West has some action pedigree, so I guess this is in safe hands. As a fan of the books, I am happy to see this gaining traction.
I think I remember something about this series earlier but this is good news. I doubt he'll be bond after starting his own spy series , not that he had much of a chance being as big a name as he has become.

But starting his own production company is taking a page out of Brosnans book. Smart movie to avoid type casting. Why did crag never do it?

And if Stratton is a hit, there are 7 other books in the series. That is if his company want to follow the books. I am hoping that they will follow the source material, as Undersea Prison is begging for the big screen treatment. I'm more inclined to accept Cavill as John Strattan than as Bond. So long as Cavill hits he gym, and undergoes all the weapons and combat training, i'm on board.
Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

Omega wrote: But starting his own production company is taking a page out of Brosnans book. Smart movie to avoid type casting. Why did crag never do it?

Because he (Craig) is utterly useless and not bankable. :lol:

When he was cast back in 2005, it was reported Amy Pascal was backing him up for two movies under the Sony banner. One of them was Girl with the Rivets and Tattoos or whatever the hell it's called. From the Sony email leaks, we learned Pascal (a loon in her own right) thought that movie was terrible. Since then, she hasn't exactly been eager to cast him as a lead in a non-Bond movie. Then again, the other movies he's done have basically been flops. Maybe three people saw Flashbacks of a Fool, and that includes Craig's parents. And that film had him as an executive producer. Yet none of other Bond actors had the kind of support he got from a major studio like Sony and the slobbering gushing over-exaggerated adoration he's gotten from the liberal mainstream media. But with all that, he's still useless. If Craig started his own movie company, he'd probably specialize in the direct-to-video market. I found this hilarious article on the Spectre cast that summarizes best what I'm trying to describe about Craig:

Most of the cast members [of Spectre] are the usual nondescript international actors. The press reports assert a great cast, implying something reminiscent of the fine ensemble in From Russia With Love. There's a young blonde French actress, and what's-his-name, and what's-her-name, and what's-his-name, and who's-that-guy, and, well, Ralph Fiennes. Granted, sometimes it's effective to buy an off-brand of cough syrup or allergy medication, but when the producers are impelled to purchase knock-off Rolex equivalents of actors for an off-brand pseudo-Nolanesque Batman film, it's time to rethink the number of car chases and explosions in the script, as well as eliminate the limousine services and onset spa services that inflate the production costs. For Ralph Fiennes, Christophe Waltz, and what's-her-name, and what's-his-name, and who's-that-guy, and Daniel Craig are already off-brands of genuine actors. Best to avoid this low-grade quality; otherwise, you'll reach Paul Blart: Mall Cop territory.

http://n007.thegoldeneye.com/film_comme ... rence.html
Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

FormerBondFan wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Can Broccoli even regain any credibility after what she has done? The plots are are sick as Cr-egg is as Bond, and SHE is the one behind it all, with her emasculinization and ruination of the francise. I cannot see the next film topping SF at the box office.
What she did to Pierce was unforgivable. If you think she can regain her credibility, then you're a minion without even realizing it, and I mean it. She only cares about herself and her ego.
I think you just described about 95% of the people in the entertainment industry. _.///
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Atticus wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:
I think you just described about 95% of the people in the entertainment industry. _.///
Then it's pointless hoping that the traditional classic tall and dark-haired Bond will return.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

He should not return with these plot scenarios unfolding until they creatively clean house on the producers of future Bond films.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:He should not return with these plot scenarios unfolding until they creatively clean house on the producers of future Bond films.
Unless Babs is removed, what's the point of us rebels watching James Bond anymore?
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

None, with her in charge.....BUT, what if she relinquishes creative control to MGM and THEY call ALL shots?
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:None, with her in charge.....BUT, what if she relinquishes creative control to MGM and THEY call ALL shots?
New producer and crew? That is what we need for Bond. Think Batman Begins.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Agreed.
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

Babsy will NEVER relinquish control. If there's one other thing I'm certain of, its that her territorial control-freak issues didn't happen in a vacuum, but were INGRAINED into her by her Father's own difficulties, compromises and conflicts with "others" that left its mark of paranoid bitterness before she rose through the ranks (or rather, had it handed over with a Silver Spoon), which makes it even sadder to realize how old Cubby couldn't have anticipated how badly she'd ruin their EON all in HIS name.

IIRC, Cubby never actually wanted to take on a partner in the first place, but had to accept Harry Saltzman because Saltzman secured the film rights to Ian Fleming's novels FIRST (bar CR & TB). Apparently, as early as the release of FRWL, Terrence Young asked to be made an equal partner alongside Broccoli/Saltzman but was turned down, which was why Young didn't direct GF (but at least returned for TB as a Well-Paid hired-hand). Then, when they halted the threat of competition from Kevin McClory's rival production of TB in '65 by joining forces with McClory for a one-time deal, this supposedly gave Connery the idea that as The Star, he deserved an equal share as an actual partner alongside Broccoli/Saltzman, whose rejection led to Connery's decision to quit after YOLT. Not to mention that Cubby ran afoul of Charles K. Feldman over the latter's rival CR'67 parody version that made just enough money to confuse ignorant moviegoers into thinking they were seeing another actual James Bond movie instead of a counterfeit that ate into the total profits of YOLT (and gave EON the confidence to make a Bond movie without Connery). Most damning were Harry Saltzman's own problems that lead to the end of the partnership with Broccoli in '75, who was forced to accept United Artists as a (not-so) Silent Partner to keep the machine running. Not to mention the constant threat of McClory's latest TB remake before and after the existence of NSNA in which OP barely managed to overcome+

It's also depressing to realize that the 89-95 hiatus was more likely caused by Cubby's stubborn insistence to Preserve the Legacy Value of the OLD James Bond Movies' Television Distribution Rights (and in essence, the Broccoli family's wealth and status), and not the ability to make new movies with Timothy Dalton for as long as he was able. During this period, EON's knee-jerk territorialism had the ugly result in quashing the production of a homemade James Bond FAN Movie by a young English teenager in the early 90's for infringing on EON's property*, whereas a trio of American teens spent a whole decade filming and editing their homemade shot-by-shot recreation of Raiders of the Lost Ark which was not only completed, but praised by Spielberg himself as an affectionate homage. So who's really the greedy, selfish control-freak here?

Ultimately, Babsy is just another tool repeating the eternal cycle of Greed and Selfishness that goes with being part of the vast machine of Film Production as her father was. Only now, she's attempting to justify it as the protection of the Sacred Legacy of EON & James Bond with the basic lesson she learned all too well from Cubby: Never Trust Any Outsiders With The Family Business. And that makes her worse, as she's blind to the FACT that such outsiders might actually be more qualified, experienced and dedicated enough to do BETTER than her, which is what her pride and ego won't accept. The same way that reverting to the "Tall, Dark and Handsome" James Bond would actually be admitting that Danielle Craggy's Non-Bond was all a ghastly mistake. Ergo, Babsy won't quit, therefore the series is done.

+ - James Bond: The Legacy, by John Cork and Bruce Scivally.
* - The Man With The Golden Touch: How The Bond Films Conquered The World by Sinclair McKay, Chapter 23: Bond In Abeyance.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Guys,Pierce said what he had to say about Elba.Personally I don't they are ever gonna really hire him as Bond.He couldn't say "No,because he's black" or sth like that.Don't you know how showbuissnes works?He was asked a question directly and he had to answer in a non-negative way.
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

bjmdds wrote:Mendes is ruining the franchise with his psychotic obsessions of first Mommie Dearest in SK-Awful and now his revealed plot with Bond's childhood emotional development with a damaged friend, who grows up to attempt to take over the world at Bond's expense :!: :roll: ............"James Bond director Sam Mendes has released information about the upcoming 007 film, saying "Spectre" will answer questions concerning Bond's childhood. The 24th James Bond movie "Spectre" is due out in theaters on Nov. 6, and director Sam Mendes revealed the plot will revolve around the spymaster's childhood and why Bond came to be an orphan. When Sony Pictures first released the "Spectre" behind-the-scenes featurette last month, audiences were treated to action footage shot on snowy mountains, unaware of the film revolving around the the all-important story of the British spy's past, a theme the last 22 Bond films never visited until "Skyfall" in 2012. "Skyfall" hinted at what was supposedly a tragic childhood Bond experienced in his native Scotland after both his parents died. Mendes has hinted "Spectre" will focus on Bond seeking the truth behind his parents' demise. "Spectre," which will be Daniel Craig's fourth 007 film, is also rumored to be his last." (let's hope so) :!: :cheers:
Yeah, spectre is his last... :cheers: (FINALLY).
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Barry Niven wrote:Babsy will NEVER relinquish control. If there's one other thing I'm certain of, its that her territorial control-freak issues didn't happen in a vacuum, but were INGRAINED into her by her Father's own difficulties, compromises and conflicts with "others" that left its mark of paranoid bitterness before she rose through the ranks (or rather, had it handed over with a Silver Spoon), which makes it even sadder to realize how old Cubby couldn't have anticipated how badly she'd ruin their EON all in HIS name.

IIRC, Cubby never actually wanted to take on a partner in the first place, but had to accept Harry Saltzman because Saltzman secured the film rights to Ian Fleming's novels FIRST (bar CR & TB). Apparently, as early as the release of FRWL, Terrence Young asked to be made an equal partner alongside Broccoli/Saltzman but was turned down, which was why Young didn't direct GF (but at least returned for TB as a Well-Paid hired-hand). Then, when they halted the threat of competition from Kevin McClory's rival production of TB in '65 by joining forces with McClory for a one-time deal, this supposedly gave Connery the idea that as The Star, he deserved an equal share as an actual partner alongside Broccoli/Saltzman, whose rejection led to Connery's decision to quit after YOLT. Not to mention that Cubby ran afoul of Charles K. Feldman over the latter's rival CR'67 parody version that made just enough money to confuse ignorant moviegoers into thinking they were seeing another actual James Bond movie instead of a counterfeit that ate into the total profits of YOLT (and gave EON the confidence to make a Bond movie without Connery). Most damning were Harry Saltzman's own problems that lead to the end of the partnership with Broccoli in '75, who was forced to accept United Artists as a (not-so) Silent Partner to keep the machine running. Not to mention the constant threat of McClory's latest TB remake before and after the existence of NSNA in which OP barely managed to overcome+

It's also depressing to realize that the 89-95 hiatus was more likely caused by Cubby's stubborn insistence to Preserve the Legacy Value of the OLD James Bond Movies' Television Distribution Rights (and in essence, the Broccoli family's wealth and status), and not the ability to make new movies with Timothy Dalton for as long as he was able. During this period, EON's knee-jerk territorialism had the ugly result in quashing the production of a homemade James Bond FAN Movie by a young English teenager in the early 90's for infringing on EON's property*, whereas a trio of American teens spent a whole decade filming and editing their homemade shot-by-shot recreation of Raiders of the Lost Ark which was not only completed, but praised by Spielberg himself as an affectionate homage. So who's really the greedy, selfish control-freak here?

Ultimately, Babsy is just another tool repeating the eternal cycle of Greed and Selfishness that goes with being part of the vast machine of Film Production as her father was. Only now, she's attempting to justify it as the protection of the Sacred Legacy of EON & James Bond with the basic lesson she learned all too well from Cubby: Never Trust Any Outsiders With The Family Business. And that makes her worse, as she's blind to the FACT that such outsiders might actually be more qualified, experienced and dedicated enough to do BETTER than her, which is what her pride and ego won't accept. The same way that reverting to the "Tall, Dark and Handsome" James Bond would actually be admitting that Danielle Craggy's Non-Bond was all a ghastly mistake. Ergo, Babsy won't quit, therefore the series is done.

+ - James Bond: The Legacy, by John Cork and Bruce Scivally.
* - The Man With The Golden Touch: How The Bond Films Conquered The World by Sinclair McKay, Chapter 23: Bond In Abeyance.
Good post!! :cheers:

Fans often hail Cubby as the great figure behind Bond, yet he made some fairly bad decisions in his time - some of the silly slapstick moments of the Moore films, allowing Moore to stay in the role longer than MR, the silly change in direction with DAF after OHMSS, disregarding the majority of the Fleming storylines from the novels from YOLT onwards (with the exception of OHMSS).

This is what irks me most with EON ever since. Other than Maibaum cleverly weaving Fleming short stories and previously disregarded scenes from the novels throughout the 80's, Babs and co. have not wanted to do this since. Maybe she hasn't read the novels, because there is still tons of untapped material from the books, and scenes that would really work well on film - the card game in MR, the horse racing and torture scene in DAF, Viv Michel in her gangster-run motel being rescued by Bond, Blofeld's castle of death in YOLT, Bond being brainwashed to kill M, then going undercover as Mark Hazard and the brilliant train ending scenes in TMWTGG...... :cuss:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Imo a lot of fans were worried the reboot would mean re telling of the old movie I don't think anybody imagined they would be drifting further and further from the root of bond.

............ :007:
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

A few items that might be worth a read:

A few observations about SPECTRE
https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... t-spectre/

Samples: It may be time for new talking points and "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is."

Literary 007 location: St. Petersburg, Florida
https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... g-florida/

Finally, for those interested in the UNCLE movie, here's a timeline:
https://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com ... -l-e-2015/
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

'Eon co-boss Barbara Broccoli told Empire that only “a very old version” of SPECTRE’s script leaked out because of the Sony hacks'.......sure, keep shoveling it up Boar-bara :!:
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

re: Connery wanting to be a partner.

What gave him that idea was the Matt Helm movies produced by Irving Allen, where Dean Martin *was* a partner.

Dino got 10% off the top. So even though The Silencers did much less business than Thunderball, Dino got more than twice as much as Connery got for Thunderball. ($1.2 million vs. $500,000, the latter figure based on a 1965 Playboy interview with Connery).