The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

Brosnan.......Pierce Brosnan, FBF:
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

Blowfeld wrote:

Ugh. She plans to Roger Moore us to death :roll:

No disrespect to Roger however he did stay far too long nearly killing the franchise.
I don't think so. For me, Roger Moore's tenure lasted exactly as long as it should have with 12 consecutive years of 7 consistently solid movies (mostly). As much as the naysayer-revisionists would like to believe that Moore's Bond would've been "better off" ending after Moonraker, or For Your Eyes Only or even Octopussy, I don't subscribe to that kind of over-idealized "what if?" daydreaming combined with a rigid and catastrophic dismissal of those movies' merits WITH Moore, warts and all. Besides, Moore always had a calm, reassuring warmth whose effortless charm always left me wanting (if you pardon the pun) more at the end of each of his movies (until A View To A Kill, when it was sadly obvious there wouldn't be any more). After only three rounds of Craiggy's pouty, blundering, brutal mumbling, I'd had enough of him.

Had Moore not been in FYEO, history would've been left with the false impression that Moore was incapable of being serious (glossing over the few bits in the 1970s' quartet) without his mid-period renewal as an "Elder-Statesman" Bond to show he actually had that versatility. IF Timothy Dalton had somehow accepted the role then, he might have endured even harsher resistance from an audience who enjoyed Moore's films and resented the loss of THEIR Bond too soon (unlike The Living Daylights, which followed Moore's welcome retirement and was helped by the 25th Anniversary fanfare). And OP would've been made with (God forbid) JAMES BROLIN, who would've been quite honestly awful and have forfeited that movie's box-office victory to Sean Connery in the rival-produced Never Say Never Again, killing the EON series as quickly as a Diamonds Are Forever with Boring JOHN GAVIN would have. As for AVTAK, that at least felt like a deliberate swan-song for the way-too-old Moore which was done with more dignity than either Connery or Brosnan received for their last official Bond movies.

Which goes to my main grievance with Babs' latest hypocrisy: that Pierce Brosnan was denied his chance for a fifth and final movie to play the role seriously to make up for the soulless excesses of DAD and his overall erratic tenure. On the surface, it seems that Babs didn't want history to repeat itself with Brosnan using this hypothetical success to leverage himself into a larger creative role, a few more movies, AND hefty salary increases like Moore negotiated with Cubby in the early 1980s. By breaking this cycle of corporate, complacent conservatism that her Father was bound to and hiring an "underdog" like Daniel Craig against conventional wisdom, Babs set out to boldly reinvent herself as an "renegade" artiste who follows her own path and wasn't bound by any conformist Hollywood Fat Cats who'd rather preserve the Status Quo. And since her new "Bond" is so much more "serious", that justifies (to her) the dismantling of ALL the Tropes that defined the "outdated" and "un-cool" James Bond Movies of Old. Yeah, sure it was. And I'll eat my hat if these "Bonds" weren't "inspired" more by the fad-chasing of Bourne/Batman Begins/24 etc.

But now that this massive con-job has been pulled off upon the movie-going public at large, Babs wants to keep this... overpaid Craiggy around for what could add up to a total of SIXTEEN YEARS with what could only be FIVE "Bond" movies in all given the absurdly long gaps between each movie's production/release. Unless the contract is amended to include a 6th and 7th, which it probably will if that corpulent Babs' has HER way. And even though these "Bond" movies are still massive box-office successes, that still doesn't actually make them any good, much less fun. So what does sustaining a Billion-Dollar Empire by tying down her indentured servant Craiggy to a long-term contract really make Babs? A Corporate, Complacent, Conservative, Conformist, Hollywood Fat Cat.

So did Roger Moore staying too long really almost kill the series? NO. In fact, he saved it, giving it a longevity and security it didn't have during the initial panic in the early years when Sean Connery wanted out, and for that he has my respect. Had Pierce Brosnan gotten his Fifth movie to end his era on a higher note, he too would've been regarded more highly than he apparently is now. Instead, the always-OLD-looking Craiggy will get this Special Treatment as the Series "Ultimate Savior" and "Standard-Bearer" that he clearly doesn't deserve, because it's WRONG. And so is letting Babs doom the franchise to an agonizing slow-death by staying in it herself.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

If anyone still hopes that the classic Bond will return, forget it. James Bond is now a freakin' Z....permanently.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Very well said, Barry Niven. It couldn't have been said better :!:
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Well said, Barry Niven!
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Niven knows his Bond onions :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

FormerBondFan wrote:If anyone still hopes that the classic Bond will return, forget it. James Bond is now a freakin' Z....permanently.
At least 9 more years of this FBF...........9 more years, through 2022........or 2026 if Broccoli gets her way and has Cr-egg do 8 films to top Moore's 7 films so she can go down in Bond history as the Remaker of the franchiser.........forget this franchise........done.........R.I.P. This summarizes Bond under the current leadership: http://col.stb00.s-msn.com/i/50/347C3B3 ... F93495.jpg
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:If anyone still hopes that the classic Bond will return, forget it. James Bond is now a freakin' Z....permanently.
At least 9 more years of this FBF...........9 more years, through 2022........or 2026 if Broccoli gets her way and has Cr-egg do 8 films to top Moore's 7 films so she can go down in Bond history as the Remaker of the franchiser.........forget this franchise........done.........R.I.P. This summarizes Bond under the current leadership: http://col.stb00.s-msn.com/i/50/347C3B3 ... F93495.jpg
You know what Z stands for, do you?
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Tell us.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:Tell us.
The horde in this picture. You know what these are.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

No. What are they?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:No. What are they?
Zombies. C'mon, FBF mentions them in practically every post he writes.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Glorious England
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: DR No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, A View to A Kill, The Living Daylights, Goldeneye, Tommorow Never Dies.
Favorite Movies: Too Many to List... lets just say anyhting over the top, comic book like, and very manly with lots of action and great scriptwriting.

Post by Glorious England »

guys, with any luck, the franchise may not last that long. Sony is in dire financial trouble, and its looking like Ps4 is going to flop on them after it fried itself at Tokyo Game Show, proving itself as terminally unreliable as its predecessor. Sony, naturally, will want to get shot of its unprofitable divisions when its most profitable, Sony Computer Entertainment, starts to look like its tripped over its shoelaces and joind microsoft in a bloody crying heap on the playground floor. when your most profitable division stumbles, you automatically get shonked of your least profitable as part of damage limitation, Sony's most unprofitable Division is Tristar, who own MGM, who own Aeon (s since the last made a good film).

than there is the fact that the face of movies is changing, since skyfail came out, there has been a sudden upsweep in fans for lighter hearted "throwback" action movies such as RED 2, even the Jason Bourne Franchise became a more traditional "hero" movie with its 4th. it should also be mentioned a lot of previous fans of Nolans very depressing Batman have turned against it having experienced Dini/Timms take on Batman in the "Arkham" videogame series, the second of wich, "Arkham City", has generated more revenue than all 3 of nolans films put together.

with this change in the media, and without a "Massive" anniversary to back it up, i think the next Blahnd film will FLOP, i also feel that some of the angles Logan is looking at, including making "Blahnd" Bisexual (already hinted at in Skyfail), possibly even fully homosexual, are going to result in the film being banned in many of the stricter catholic countries in europe.

Flop, plus sony getting shonked of tristar when ps4 bombs, plus half of europe in outcry, plus a change in film habit = a terminal case of the media Lurgy.

i can see the franchise getting axed, it is so far damaged that it would be almost impossible to repair, Warners could buy it tommorow, Hire Clive Owen for Bond, get Dini Timm and Feirstein to write it, and it would STILL take at least 10 films and uncountable millions of dollars to undo Baborings damage, and i cant see anyone, warners, universal, Lionsgate, Legendary, whoever, putting up with that loss. so it will be axed.

Now as FBF has said, it IS a Zombie, now, zombies can't be killed, but too many years of Quake has told me they can be mulched..

i think its time someone introduced James BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSS to "Old Painless"...

we need a new spy franchise to take over. Possibly November Man, Possibly Legendarys rumoured film version of Mark Millar's "The Secret Service" with Clive Owen and Ben Drew, Possibly the ressurected man from uncle, maybe the newly resurgent mission impossible, maybe even the changed beyond all recognition thanks to Aaron, "finally, a Man" Cross, Bourne Series or, at an off chance, a new IP.

either way, the King is Dead, Buried, Come Back to Life and is Now Eating the Courtiers Brains and Leaving Bits of Himself on the Castle Rug, we need a New King.
God Save The Queen.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Glorious...have you seen Brad Pitt's WWZ yet?
Glorious England
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: DR No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, A View to A Kill, The Living Daylights, Goldeneye, Tommorow Never Dies.
Favorite Movies: Too Many to List... lets just say anyhting over the top, comic book like, and very manly with lots of action and great scriptwriting.

No, i havn't, and i dont have any intention too i am afraid, the trailers sent me near narcoleptic, the Zombie Apocalypse has, since Half Life 2's iconic "We Dont Go To Ravenholm" made Zombies popular again, been done to death, and with none of the "oh...my...god" dread of Ravenholm either. it just bores me now. also, im not really much of a fan of Brad Pitt, i can tolerate him for a really good film, but, thats about it.

also. well, in my opinion at least, put 20 ED-209's (post Cyberdyne take over of OCP, thus working properly, under the code "Terminator Model 3") against a zombie horde... my money is on the robots.
God Save The Queen.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Glorious England wrote:Now as FBF has said, it IS a Zombie, now, zombies can't be killed, but too many years of Quake has told me they can be mulched..
Unless you shoot them in the head. Slow zombie is simple but hard when you have the whole horde surrounding you. Fast zombies.....as Max Brooks said, they're too terrifying to think about. This is what happens in the world of Bond. Infested with WWZ type zombies.
we need a new spy franchise to take over. Possibly November Man, Possibly Legendarys rumoured film version of Mark Millar's "The Secret Service" with Clive Owen and Ben Drew, Possibly the ressurected man from uncle, maybe the newly resurgent mission impossible, maybe even the changed beyond all recognition thanks to Aaron, "finally, a Man" Cross, Bourne Series or, at an off chance, a new IP.
Let's hope Pierce's November Man ends up a success as well as his best film, putting GoldenEye to shame.

either way, the King is Dead, Buried, Come Back to Life and is Now Eating the Courtiers Brains and Leaving Bits of Himself on the Castle Rug, we need a New King.[/quote]
Glorious England
Lieutenant

fast Zombies can still be taken out, Minigun (old painless), landmines, Winchester 1877 (blow them in half, then shoot the crawler in the noggin, a-la Father Grigori) gavity gun, robots, (cant be zombified),. sure, the current blahnd fans may be fast zombies, but there is ways to defeat them, one of wich is the current financial situation, if sony flops as hard as predicted, MGM is going to go up for sale, and the Fast Zombie Horde for Blahnd is a lot smaller than the fast zombie horde for Nolan (even after MOS turned out to have the Father Grigori effect and decimated the horde), so, i still cant see anyone taking it on.

I am sure November Man will be a success, after Mission Impossible Four and the First Aaron Cross Film, there has been quite a strong call for a nice, traditional, Spy Movie again, and November Man looks like it will more than cater to that, indeed, id like to see it be Peirce's best film as well, as much as i loved Goldeneye, i think its held its throne too long, i always consider it a crying shame that there hasnt been a better film come along to retire it. in the same way i hope someone, one day, makes a game better than Half Life. everything needs to be retired eventually. no matter how sacred, but it can only retire if something better comes along.

heck, another left feild contender got added to the "new spy king", news just in, there IS going to be a True Lies 2 with Arnold. Finally!
God Save The Queen.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Glorious England wrote:fast Zombies can still be taken out, Minigun (old painless), landmines, Winchester 1877 (blow them in half, then shoot the crawler in the noggin, a-la Father Grigori) gavity gun, robots, (cant be zombified),. sure, the current blahnd fans may be fast zombies, but there is ways to defeat them, one of wich is the current financial situation, if sony flops as hard as predicted, MGM is going to go up for sale, and the Fast Zombie Horde for Blahnd is a lot smaller than the fast zombie horde for Nolan (even after MOS turned out to have the Father Grigori effect and decimated the horde), so, i still cant see anyone taking it on.

There are plenty of Anti-Craig rebels here who loves TDK Trilogy, which I consider it escapism even though it's realism based.
I am sure November Man will be a success, after Mission Impossible Four and the First Aaron Cross Film, there has been quite a strong call for a nice, traditional, Spy Movie again, and November Man looks like it will more than cater to that, indeed, id like to see it be Peirce's best film as well, as much as i loved Goldeneye, i think its held its throne too long, i always consider it a crying shame that there hasnt been a better film come along to retire it. in the same way i hope someone, one day, makes a game better than Half Life. everything needs to be retired eventually. no matter how sacred, but it can only retire if something better comes along.
Pierce deserves better. None of Pierce's later Bonds were able to outmatch GoldenEye's greatness, and his non-Bond films (especially after Bond) were no different. I was hoping Mamma Mia would bring him his third career, but his singing wasn't up to speed. I hoped the same for Percy Jackson (especially after Mamma Mia), but it got mixed not to mentioned grossing under $100 million in the US. His return to TV with Stephen King's Bags of Bones didn't really help. Yeah, there are very good ones like The Matador and The Ghost Writer, but they don't get the recognition they deserve. In a way, GoldenEye was Pierce's highest peak in terms of both greatness and recognition. Nowadays, his works either get not-so-good reviews or don't get the recognition they deserve. Pierce deserves a great movie that appeals to both fans and the general public even though it will never beat the corrupted Bond movie Skyfall's numbers.
Glorious England
Lieutenant

Actually, it may beat Skyfail, it isnt likely, but it could, Cinema is changing, the Majority is Fed up With Emo, so it wont be long before something Decent comes along and smashes skyfail's fiqures.

Agreed, Peirce has had some pretty rotten luck when it comes to being recognised for the talent he is. TND got Close to GE i think, but, it got pretty trashed when babs had it recut for a 12 certificate instead of the 15 it would have had in the full directors cut, (replete with a killer Gupta with Shurikan poker cards.)

i think Peirce made a mistake with mama mia, i just cant see him doing musicals, come to think of it, i cant see yul brynner doing one...but he did... so, Peirce isnt the only one to make that mistake.

Percy jackson was too clearly an attempt to cash in on potter mania, now, either Peirce had some REALLY bad Luck, or the cinema goers were actually using there brains for once, but they saw that it was just a nasty little clone of a Nastier Big Franchise (BF to COD. crap attempting to copy even worse crap) and stayed away. shame they couldnt do that when Bond became a nasty little clone of bourne.

The Matador was incredible, Peirce Showed all the ice he did in Fourth Protocol, proving again he can do really unpleaseant charachters as well as heros, i am very suprised it slipped under the radar... not emo enough for todays mangirls i quess.

i will never understand critics, giving really good reviews to something anyone with half a brain can tell is utter rubbish and damming anything that is actually really good but makes the mistake of "not being emotionally aware" or some such rot.

indeed, its still beyond me how the matador went under the radar.

i am pretty sure November man will appeal to fans and gen pop, as it meets the demand for a proper traditional spy movie as many people have been calling for after Ghost Protocol and Aaron Cross.
God Save The Queen.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

And I still don't know why Pierce was put into I Don't Know How She Does It.