The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

There was a Dark Knight Rises press screening last Friday and word got out that after the movie was over, those in attendance gave the movie a standing ovation.

While standing ovations are not uncommon after screenings, especially as a courtesy to the filmmakers for their work on the final film of a beloved franchise, it was the reaction to the movie that was noteworthy.

One took to Twitter and said The Dark Knight Rises is better than both The Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man, and another said that if the movie "does not break the mold and win Best Picture, no comic book movie ever will." A summary of the praises can be found here.

In short, the Batman finale is the best thing since sliced bread if these reactions on the social media sites are to be believed. It sounds a little too good to be true.

There were two more screenings in Manhattan on Tuesday, and Hollywood Elsewhere's Jeffery Wells has spoken with three individuals who've attended one of the screenings. Two echoed what was said about the movie in last Friday's screening, but one wasn't bowled over.

According to this person, the movie is "not that compelling...there's a really solid 115 or 120 minute drama with action in there [but Nolan] has made this huge bloated thing that runs two hours and 40 minutes."

Presumably, this may be the same individual who've said, like the two movies before it, The Dark Knight Rises is not Best Picture material.

The movie is coming out next week on the 20th, and Warner Bros is screening the movie across the country, so we'll definitely hear more about what people think of the movie before then.

Given what I've heard about the movie so far, I think there's a good chance it will have a Tomatometer of over 90 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

English Agent wrote:Not sure where i saw it, probably BOM, but QOS's $67.5 opening weekend in North America in 2008, would equate nowadays to somewhere around $74+ mil. Personally i dont think Skyfall, even if it does receive excellent reviews, will open this high as i'am sure the memory of QOS will put a lot of people off going to see the film initially, until they here word of mouth from their friends.
Now that reminds me of the Star Wars I, which put off several SW devotees that Episodes II and III failed to beat Episode I's numbers (both worldwide and here in the US). The same can be said of Transformers 3 in the domestic market.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Watching Batman Begins last night got to Wayne Manner burning down and was like those so-and-soes at Bond are trying to rip this part of as well :cuss: It's truly embarrassing how since 2006 Bond has being trying to rip of other series like Bourne and Batman, I say trying because they didn't succeed,,,, so far.

They'll have a headline in Spyfall at the end Drunken Agent Burns Down Family Home

Bond was a unique series even bad Bond movies offered something memorable, if someone hates DAD there was at least one scene somebody liked even hating the movie.
starting with CR it become more bland, OK chase to start after what 8 to 10 min of movie and opening credits , then you pop out of the movie by pop out of the movie I mean it loses your attention, you start to think about other things. The agent dying and needing to be shocked back to life happened in two other Hollywood movies the year Cr came out, the opening chase is less exciting than some tv episodes and other movies even some old bond movies.

QOS never was engaging as a story, very hard to care about any of it. The stunts were lame too. Spyfall is reboot Bonds 3rd attempt trying to make Batman begins for bond, maybe they'll get it right this time but will it matter.

In a way I think they might of picked a bad time to release Bond, in 2008 it was the first twilight movie in 2012 it is the last. Being the last from Spyfalls second week until the Hobbit everyone will be talking about Twlight. Spyfall would need to make a hell of splash to get people talking about it, then not to be talking about it in badly next to Bourne 4 and Batman 3
............ :007:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Omega wrote:Spyfall would need to make a hell of splash to get people talking about it, then not to be talking about it in badly next to Bourne 4 and Batman 3
The Bat's final battle is escapism compared to Bond 23 and Bourne 4. If I want realism, I'll take Bourne 4.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

On Twitter, Warner Bros. seeking questions from fans that may be asked of Noland and cast before TDKR premier on July 16. Would they do something like that for Skyfall?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Sony is overestimating the Sunday Spiderman box office deliberately again as they did last week to make it look good. There is NO way it did more on Sunday than Friday night.
According to BOM, the film dropped only 44% in its second weekend, but we'll see if that's still the case when the actuals come out this evening.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

bjmdds wrote:After 10 days of Spider-Man I, 2, and 3, the box office take was $223 million, $225 million, and $240 million in the USA, with no Imax and no 3-D. Garfideld's flick after 10 days has a total of $165 million in the USA, with 44% of that with 3-D and 10% with Imax, and higher ticket prices. It's evident that spending $230 million for a reboot was NOT the correct move.
Except it made about $525 million worldwide so far. Which DEFINITELY proves them right. With all there is still to go (more showings not to mention DVD sales and more than that all the merchandise, games and stuff related to it) they'll definitely make a profit. And not a small one.

The Q stuff is downright pathetic. I won't even get into it, it's a clear attempt to try and get something like the superhero movies that appeals to the younger demographic, except that's not what Bond is made out to be and least of all Q.

Meantime, Henry Cavill's Superman got MAJORLY positive reaction at Comic Con on Saturday. The movie is getting great buzz now after they showed the first trailer, and more than that, Cavill's personal success was HUGE. Same as Craig, huh? :lol: Henry was born to be 007, period. After what Campbell said (I saw you all OVERLOOKED THAT! shame on you! :lol:) and with his natural charm and charisma, Cavill would really be a godsend for the Bond franchise... Sony and MGM better act QUICK.

This is Henry at Comic Con on Saturday. He's representing SUPERMAN, yet he looks more like Bond than Craig EVER will.

And, the net is going CRAZY with the Superman stuff and with photos of Cavill and Snyder from Saturday... I think (finger crossed) Henry really may be able to break the "Superman curse".
"Are we on coms?"
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

As for all the Young Q stuff. I've been watching loads of clips from the up coming TDKR movie.
With Morgan freeman ( Batmans Q ) and Not Once did I ever think
"This Guy is too old to know anything about Gadgets and high-Tec stuff"
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Morgan Freeman would make a better Q than that young fellow.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

Well for SURE Morgan Freeman would make a WAY better Q than this youngster. He's got the attitude and that fantastic voice to go with it!

And, press on Henry Cavill and PLEASE look at the photos. He's representing Superman, yet he's absolutely dressed like a casual James Bond... (and that's HIS pick, his style, not like he's in costume as Bond... and surely nobody demanded such elegance for him to represent Superman).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... -film.html
"Are we on coms?"
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I wonder if we would ever get a black Q......if Bond is to be rebooted again.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

FormerBondFan wrote:I wonder if we would ever get a black Q......if Bond is to be rebooted again.
I'm still hoping that James Bond will appear in a Bond movie again.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:I wonder if we would ever get a black Q......if Bond is to be rebooted again.
:lol: quite right! I have the same hope, HENCE Henry Cavill!

If Cavill is Bond and we get a black Q (which I would have nothing against), I'd definitely vote for Freeman. Or well, my friend Mehcad Brooks but he's too young and good looking, it's a waste! :lol: He should be one of Bond's allies instead :mrgreen:
"Are we on coms?"
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

TDKR review: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117947904/ "All in all, the picture impressively conveys a seething vision of urban anxiety that speaks to such issues as the greed and complacency of the 1%, the criminal neglect of the poor and oppressed, and above all the unsettling sense that no one and nothing is safe." These directors MUST get off this political BS in their action films and keep it simply apolitical. Enough about class warfare in 2012 :!: http://entertainment.time.com/2012/07/1 ... e-heights/ See ya later Spiderman :!: :lol: :up: FBF, let the pigeons loose :!:
Last edited by bjmdds on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Alessandra wrote:If Cavill is Bond and we get a black Q (which I would have nothing against), I'd definitely vote for Freeman. Or well, my friend Mehcad Brooks but he's too young and good looking, it's a waste! :lol: He should be one of Bond's allies instead :mrgreen:
I wouldn't want Freeman because a) I think Q should be British and b) he basically plays Q already in Nolan's Bat-films. I'll wait and see Ben Wishaw in action before writing him off. For all we know, he might make an excellent Q and we'll all end up saying "what a pity he couldn't have been Q in a proper Bond film".
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Alessandra wrote:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
:lol: quite right! I have the same hope, HENCE Henry Cavill!

If Cavill is Bond and we get a black Q (which I would have nothing against), I'd definitely vote for Freeman. Or well, my friend Mehcad Brooks but he's too young and good looking, it's a waste! :lol: He should be one of Bond's allies instead :mrgreen:
BOAR-bara won't allow Cr-egg to vacate the Bond role. Promoting Superman next year worldwide will cause Cavill to have minimal free time to film Bond 24 if he is considered, but he could do it as DC did, starting in January 2014 for a fall 2014 release. It seems the ONLY roles of merit now are icons of fiction, be it a superhero or a super spy. DC won't quit now. No way. He has ZERO pending after Bond 23 destructs. How long will the public have to endure this? :shock:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote:
Alessandra wrote:If Cavill is Bond and we get a black Q (which I would have nothing against), I'd definitely vote for Freeman. Or well, my friend Mehcad Brooks but he's too young and good looking, it's a waste! :lol: He should be one of Bond's allies instead :mrgreen:
I wouldn't want Freeman because a) I think Q should be British and b) he basically plays Q already in Nolan's Bat-films. I'll wait and see Ben Wishaw in action before writing him off. For all we know, he might make an excellent Q and we'll all end up saying "what a pity he couldn't have been Q in a proper Bond film".
The heck with Freeman already. Kris is correct. You MUST get someone OLDER and BRITISH, but if you recast Q in Bond 24 with a new Bond, this entire mess gets even more ridiculous and that is why FBF must give the ORDER 007 at once :!:
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:DC won't quit now. No way. He has ZERO pending after Bond 23 destructs. How long will the public have to endure this? :shock:
This is why Bond 23 has to gross less than both CR and QOS (especially here in the US), IMAX/increased ticket prices or not.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:You MUST get someone OLDER and BRITISH, but if you recast Q in Bond 24 with a new Bond, this entire mess gets even more ridiculous and that is why FBF must give the ORDER 007 at once :!:
I'm going to need help on this. Carl, are you up for this?