The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Captain Nash »

Only in your opinion. Which differs from some. I however don't see Fassbender in the Bond role, but wouldn't go as far as to make it a joyful thing that he isn't.
It amuses me that you two think Cavill is right for the part, and shoot down anyone who disagrees with you, yet when Fassbender is mentioned, it becomes okay to bash and ridicule.
katied

Post by katied »

Ale, if Fassbender was actually right for Bond, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But on the "Suggestions for the next Bond" threads elsewhere, his name is mentioned at *least* every other post. IMO there are posters trying to shove him down others' throats.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

katied wrote:Ale, if Fassbender was actually right for Bond, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But on the "Suggestions for the next Bond" threads elsewhere, his name is mentioned at *least* every other post. IMO there are posters trying to shove him down others' throats.
And why does that bother you?
You don't post at these boards, you just whine and whinge here.
Why can't people make a suggestion for Bond #7?
Just because it differs from yours.
katied

Post by katied »

When it comes to X Men, I'm seeing it more for James Macavoy( LOVED him in The Last King Of Scotland ) than anything else. Centurion was awful and died a death at the box office.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

Captain Nash wrote:Only in your opinion. Which differs from some. I however don't see Fassbender in the Bond role, but wouldn't go as far as to make it a joyful thing that he isn't.
It amuses me that you two think Cavill is right for the part, and shoot down anyone who disagrees with you, yet when Fassbender is mentioned, it becomes okay to bash and ridicule.
Well of course it is only in my opinion, I am posting MY opinion, not somebody else's. Please point out to me where I either bashed or ridiculed him. I didn't do either. I said he is absolutely inadequate for the role. That is not bashing by any stretch of imagination. And I sure as hell didn't ridicule him either. Unlike ONE (because it is only one poster) poster on here who went so far as to swear and mock Cavill's masculinity. Nothing of what I wrote was either offensive or mocking Fassbender. And let it be clear: there SURE are other actors I would see in the role who aren't Cavill. But that doesn't change the fact I think Fassbender is COMPLETELY inadequate for the role.
When it comes to X Men, I'm seeing it more for James Macavoy( LOVED him in The Last King Of Scotland ) than anything else. Centurion was awful and died a death at the box office.
My main reason is obviously Hugh (divine) Jackman. :mrgreen: Always loved him, always will. To think he could have been Bond instead of Craig... then Cavill after him. Perfection. Of course nothing in this world is perfect, so it's fine :lol:
"Are we on coms?"
katied

Post by katied »

Please point out to me where I either bashed or ridiculed him. I didn't do either. I said he is absolutely inadequate for the role. That is not bashing by any stretch of imagination. And I sure as hell didn't ridicule him either. Unlike ONE (because it is only one poster) poster on here who went so far as to swear and mock Cavill's masculinity. Nothing of what I wrote was either offensive or mocking Fassbender. And let it be clear: there SURE are other actors I would see in the role who aren't Cavill. But that doesn't change the fact I think Fassbender is COMPLETELY inadequate for the role.
I do think there is a LOT of pressure to give Fassbender the job. When fans gets a bee in their bonnet that way they won't shut up(see also: "Amy Winehouse CAN, indeed WILL do the theme for QOS." Unfortunately there was no way that would happen.She didn't have her sh!t together at the time(that's putting it mildly)
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

I don't even think there's pressure to give Fassbender the job, I think it's just that the Craig fanboys (which doesn't mean ALL Craig fans, but just the fanboys, as in exaggerate fans) want him because he's a similar type. Unfit for the role in that he doesn't match Fleming's description at all. And of course a stranger to style and charm. The ideal continuation of Craig's non-Bond for that particular type of Craig fan (again thankfully not representing the majority of Craig fans by my experience).
"Are we on coms?"
katied

Post by katied »

I know what you mean with the exaggerate fans(boy do I ever!). It's not just Craig fans. It's people who think he,yes, has the look. Or more because he was in a Quentin Tarantino movie(albeit one I thought was pretty good. His character was alright.)
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

katied wrote:I know what you mean with the exaggerate fans(boy do I ever!). It's not just Craig fans. It's people who think he,yes, has the look. Or more because he was in a Quentin Tarantino movie(albeit one I thought was pretty good. His character was alright.)
I do think the guy can act. That's not the problem. Robert De Niro is a fantastic actor but he by no means could ever be Bond. Al Pacino? Awesome, still no way he could be Bond. Same for this guy (who by no means is De Niro or Pacino, but he surely is a decent actor).
"Are we on coms?"
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

bjmdds wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Cr-egg=Alien Bond, foreign to the psyche of any normal traditionalist Bond fan.
Now now BJ. You are bordering on that blinkered view, refusing to accept other peoples views, which you frequently criticize MI6 for.

Just because certain Bond fans like Craig too, doesn't mean they are not normal, traditionalist Bond fans.
I always accept others views. My statements are MY personal thoughts. I find Eon's latest ideas foreign to traditionalist Bond fans and I am surprised you don't. There is NOTHING traditional about Cr-egg as Bond. Name ONE thing? He has no class, no looks, a short stature, he mumbles,has flat hair that looks pasted onto his head,a horrific profile, etc. You cannot say that about the prior 5 Bond actors, can you?
I like Craig's Bond, because I love CR. And Craig's Bond is void of silly camp humour, and more in tune with the early Connery films. There is not much more to it than that. Put Brozza in CR, and I would have still loved it.

With regards Jaws, Alien, Godfather, etc. - whoever has not seen these classics, sort it out. You HAVE to see these movies.

Ale - Three Days of the Condor, you have great taste in movies.... :cheers:
BJ - glad to hear you like The Sting..... :cheers:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Three Days of The Condor is a film I must have seen 30 times.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

bjmdds wrote:Three Days of The Condor is a film I must have seen 30 times.
Ah, one awesome movie we all agree on. Robert Redford in his prime... plus Sidney Pollack. There was no way that movie was going to be less than great. :cheers:
"Are we on coms?"
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Max Von Sydow was great in it vs. his sorry role in Never Say Never Again. He looked like an invalid with a cat. :down:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The Sweeney wrote:
bjmdds wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Cr-egg=Alien Bond, foreign to the psyche of any normal traditionalist Bond fan.
Now now BJ. You are bordering on that blinkered view, refusing to accept other peoples views, which you frequently criticize MI6 for.

Just because certain Bond fans like Craig too, doesn't mean they are not normal, traditionalist Bond fans.
I always accept others views. My statements are MY personal thoughts. I find Eon's latest ideas foreign to traditionalist Bond fans and I am surprised you don't. There is NOTHING traditional about Cr-egg as Bond. Name ONE thing? He has no class, no looks, a short stature, he mumbles,has flat hair that looks pasted onto his head,a horrific profile, etc. You cannot say that about the prior 5 Bond actors, can you?
I like Craig's Bond, because I love CR. And Craig's Bond is void of silly camp humour, and more in tune with the early Connery films. There is not much more to it than that. Put Brozza in CR, and I would have still loved it.

With regards Jaws, Alien, Godfather, etc. - whoever has not seen these classics, sort it out. You HAVE to see these movies.

BJ - glad to hear you like The Sting..... :cheers:
The selection of Cr-egg as Bond was Eon's attempt at camp humor Sweene. I 100% agree about the scripts being Connery-esque, but the actor must validate that aspect and the current choice just does not cut it in my book.
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Ale wrote:
Ah, one awesome movie we all agree on. Robert Redford in his prime... plus Sidney Pollack. There was no way that movie was going to be less than great. :cheers:
Redford has to be at his coolest in this movie. I've copied his look in this film many times (long hair, sideburns, faded flared jeans, navy blue jumper.)
I also have a cordrite 70's style suit tailor made in India, similar to what Redford wears in President's Men.

I also have a Rolex Seamaster watch, similar to what Redford wears in President's Men, also worn by McQueen, and obviously by Connery, Lazenby, Moore and Dalton.....although mine is a fake one from China (you could never tell though). :mrgreen:

Ok, this is a sad admission now on my behalf, shamelessy copying actors wardrobes from the 70's.... :oops:
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

bjmdds wrote:Max Von Sydow was great in it vs. his sorry role in Never Say Never Again. He looked like an invalid with a cat. :down:
NSNA is shockingly bad. Connery is actually an embarassment in the film, and was in danger of ruining his legendary status with what he achieved in the 60's with his unreplacable Bond.

This should never have been made.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Also agree. Connery mumbled his lines in NSNA ($55million domestic) and the entire casting was putrid, yet it it came close to OP numbers ($67million domestic) in 1983 and actually opened in more USA theatres than OP did. http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=1983&p=.htm
English Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, CR, TB, LALD

Post by English Agent »

The Sweeney wrote:
Ale wrote:
Redford has to be at his coolest in this movie. I've copied his look in this film many times (long hair, sideburns, faded flared jeans, navy blue jumper.)
I also have a cordrite 70's style suit tailor made in India, similar to what Redford wears in President's Men.

I also have a Rolex Seamaster watch, similar to what Redford wears in President's Men, also worn by McQueen, and obviously by Connery, Lazenby, Moore and Dalton.....although mine is a fake one from China (you could never tell though). :mrgreen:

Ok, this is a sad admission now on my behalf, shamelessy copying actors wardrobes from the 70's.... :oops:
What!..........interesting times the 70's, but you dont go around dressed in 70's clothes now do you? :shock:

You need to find the 'Time Tunnel' and transport forward to the year 2011'

EA
English Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, CR, TB, LALD

Post by English Agent »

The Sweeney wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Max Von Sydow was great in it vs. his sorry role in Never Say Never Again. He looked like an invalid with a cat. :down:
NSNA is shockingly bad. Connery is actually an embarassment in the film, and was in danger of ruining his legendary status with what he achieved in the 60's with his unreplacable Bond.

This should never have been made.
Yes, i agree Connery would of been better off forgetting about Bond at this stage. I sometimes think he made this film to spite EON, as he had had some difficulties with the producers.
NSNA was good in some parts, but overall a dissapointing film, in particular the truly dreadful music score (i've mentioned this before) which was totally inappropriate for a Bond film. (Yes, i know they couldn't use the official music).

EA
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

English Agent wrote: What!..........interesting times the 70's, but you dont go around dressed in 70's clothes now do you? :shock:

EA
Actually yes.... :lol:

But many designer labels now look 70's retro. My Diesel jeans are flared, and the denim shirt I wear under the navy v-neck is from Tommy Hilfigher, actually part of a Steve McQueen collection funnily enough. Also, I have many pairs of retro Adidas trainers, including the pair Roger Daltrey wears in the film McVicar (anyone here seen that)?