The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

English Agent wrote: 'Kris....' i know that other writers come in to polish up the scripts, but Wade and Purvis seem to be the main guys who start the ball rolling on new storylines.
I was merely suggesting that EON at least try some other people, that way they can get some suggestions and views from people with a different insight.
If they find a great new writer who really nails the essence of Bond, then great, but I don't see the point of breaking with their regular writers just for the sake of "giving someone else a chance". Sticking with the same creative team as much as possible is what has allowed the Bond series a certain consistency right from the outset (eg the use of only 5 directors throughout the whole of the Cubby era, with Richard Maibaum working on the majority of the scripts).
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
English Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, CR, TB, LALD

Post by English Agent »

Kristatos wrote:
English Agent wrote: 'Kris....' i know that other writers come in to polish up the scripts, but Wade and Purvis seem to be the main guys who start the ball rolling on new storylines.
I was merely suggesting that EON at least try some other people, that way they can get some suggestions and views from people with a different insight.
If they find a great new writer who really nails the essence of Bond, then great, but I don't see the point of breaking with their regular writers just for the sake of "giving someone else a chance". Sticking with the same creative team as much as possible is what has allowed the Bond series a certain consistency right from the outset (eg the use of only 5 directors throughout the whole of the Cubby era, with Richard Maibaum working on the majority of the scripts).
True..............its a difficult situation, i just feel a new injection of ideas is needed!

EA
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

English Agent wrote:
True..............its a difficult situation, i just feel a new injection of ideas is needed!

EA
New isn't necessarily better. We had "new injections of ideas" from Paul Haggis and Joshua Zetumer (sp?), and I'm not convinced that these were an improvement on what Purvis and Wade came up with. So far, Ale is the only one who has come up with a specific name (the guy behind the new Hawaii 5-0 revival, whose name escapes me for the time being), who she thought could do a good job of writing a Bond script. Most of the talk of replacements has been very vague, merely wanting "someone other than P&W", or "a US TV writer". To which I say "Better the devil you know...."
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

Kristatos wrote:
English Agent wrote:

EA
New isn't necessarily better. We had "new injections of ideas" from Paul Haggis and Joshua Zetumer (sp?), and I'm not convinced that these were an improvement on what Purvis and Wade came up with. So far, Ale is the only one who has come up with a specific name (the guy behind the new Hawaii 5-0 revival, whose name escapes me for the time being), who she thought could do a good job of writing a Bond script. Most of the talk of replacements has been very vague, merely wanting "someone other than P&W", or "a US TV writer". To which I say "Better the devil you know...."
I completely agree new isn't necessarily better. There are a lot of horrible writers out there that keep writing and people keep watching their stuff :lol:

I named Roberto Orci because he was one of the genius minds behind Alias (he was one of the JJ Abrams team from the start) and now he is one of the three main producers and writers behind the new Hawaii Five-0. He also is one of the main writers/producers for Fringe. He really is a fantastic writer, and what matters the most he has a great skill for combining great action scenes with humor, which is exactly what we would need for Bond. I asked him about how he'd feel if he had the opportunity to write the new Bond movie, and his reply was "can you get me that gig?" :mrgreen: I think he would really do a great job. And he already has movie experience, too, not just TV. I was completely unaware he wrote HEAPS of new movies! I only knew he was one of the producers/writers of the hit comedy with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds "The Proposal". BUT, he also wrote/produced, the new Star Trek, Mission Impossible III, The Island, Transformers (both movies) and AHEM he is one of the writers of Cowboys & Aliens (which judging from the trailer is the one thing I will hold against him :lol:). Anyway. He is a really, REALLY great writer and as I said, having watched regularly at least two of his series, I can definitely and safely say he would be a perfect fit for Bond. We'd finally get a movie with good action and good humor again. Gadgets, Moneypenny, Q and all the rest included. :mrgreen:

Another one I could see as a good Bond writer, paired with Orci possibly, is Jeff Eastin, the creator of White Collar. White Collar is a crime series for those who aren't familiar with it, but with a definite Bond vibe to it in terms of style and wit. It's about a con artist who starts working with the FBI to help them solve cases. Said con artist is basically Thomas Crown meets Bond, both in his style and in his ways with the ladies. My first pick would NO DOUBT be Orci, because he is just the perfect fit to write a great Bond movie (for those who don't know his work and can't be bothered to watch either Alias or the new Hawaii Five-0, I have the script of the Hawaii Five-0 pilot for you to read if you want.) But there are quite a few good TV writers now who would fit. Peter Lenkov, the other producer/writer of Hawaii Five-0, and of course Damon Lindelhof (Lost creator and HE TOO one of the writers/producers of Cowboys & Aliens as well as Star Trek) come to mind. Basically, the JJ crew needs to come to the rescue. In the end, it's all about him. I LOVE JJ Abrams and wish he would direct a Bond movie, but he never will.. he's in too deep with Mission:Impossible. Now THAT is one awesome action director, and one who can give depth to characters when he writes, WITHOUT overdoing it and getting all "angsty broody soul searching Bond". Sigh, dreams...
"Are we on coms?"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I didn't know he worked on the new Star Trek. Now, that's how you do a reboot! While EON was busy jettisoning all the familiar Bond elements, ST went out of its way to honour the conventions of its source material on the surface, while radically rejigging it "under the hood" in order to make those familiar elements seem fresh and exciting.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

Kristatos wrote:I didn't know he worked on the new Star Trek. Now, that's how you do a reboot! While EON was busy jettisoning all the familiar Bond elements, ST went out of its way to honour the conventions of its source material on the surface, while radically rejigging it "under the hood" in order to make those familiar elements seem fresh and exciting.
Both him and Lindelhof (the Lost producer) were producers and writers of the new Star Trek. I need to check whether Lindelof (I always spell it wrong, this is the right spelling) is involved in the second one as well. Orci has done the first and will do the second. Checked, Lindelof is doing the second one as well, with Orci. d**n, what a team. JJ Abrams sure knows how to pick his writers/producers. And DUH, he directed Star Trek, so no surprise! Hot d**n, why doesn't Barbara Broccoli understand JJ ABRAMS Is what Bond needs! Oh wait, I know why she doesn't.... SHE IS AN IDIOT! (and he costs way too much money). Ohhh and there, another name that would be great for Bond, too (together with Orci). Alex Kurtzman. Another great writer of the JJ Abrams group. Kurtzman is another of the exec producers/writers of the new Hawaii Five-0, and one of the writers on Fringe. Needless to say, he too wrote Star Trek.

I agree they did a great job with Star Trek (and to be fair casting did a great job too... the guy who played Sylar on Heroes, Zachary Quinto, is PERFECT as Spock. And they did well casting Pine as Kirk, too). I really am not surprised he's involved in this type of project and they did it well... these are writers whose shows I've loved for about 10 years now. And they really made TV history with their job, because both Alias and Lost literally created a new genre and a new way of doing TV (of course JJ Abrams is the genius who created both things in the first place, but he had a great team to work with, and they were part of it). Orci in particular is one who can really handle both the action and the humor well. Given the amount of sci-fi they had in Alias, not surprised he handled that part well, too. I just hope one day I can see his name to pen a Bond script.
"Are we on coms?"
katied

Post by katied »

I liked Nu!Trek-great casting with Quinto,Pine, etc.(and I'm NOT a Trekkie by any means!)
Bond77

Post by Bond77 »

The one thing that can be said about Albert Broccoli is that he always presented James Bond. Standing in the midst of all the silliness, the outlandish plots, and the ridiculous characters of the Cubby Broccoli films was James Bond. Cubby always gave us Bond films. The current regime cannot make that claim.
katied

Post by katied »

Bond77 wrote:The one thing that can be said about Albert Broccoli is that he always presented James Bond. Standing in the midst of all the silliness, the outlandish plots, and the ridiculous characters of the Cubby Broccoli films was James Bond. Cubby always gave us Bond films. The current regime cannot make that claim.
This.To about the bazillionth power. My dislike of EON's current regime is well known. :twisted:
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

Bond77 wrote:The one thing that can be said about Albert Broccoli is that he always presented James Bond. Standing in the midst of all the silliness, the outlandish plots, and the ridiculous characters of the Cubby Broccoli films was James Bond. Cubby always gave us Bond films. The current regime cannot make that claim.
Exactly. And that is exactly like I want Orci to pen a script, or Lindelof, and JJ Abrams to direct. Because they're brilliant people who do not OVERTURN a concept, but just update it as necessary while being VERY careful at keeping its "core values". Really, just watch a few of the dialogues between Danno and McGarrett on Hawaii Five-0 (Scott Caan who plays Danno got a Golden Globe nomination as best supporting actor for Hawaii Five-0, btw) and some of their action scenes, and you'll get what I mean. We would finally freaking get Bond as he should be. A Bond movie again. With all the necessary and right ingredients. And given how JJ NEVER misses when he casts people for his projects, you can stay assured we'd get Henry Cavill as Bond :mrgreen: (or anyhow an equivalent, and no way we'd ever get someone like Craig with him at the helm).
"Are we on coms?"
English Agent

Post by English Agent »

Hopefully MW and BB will of learned the lessons from QOS...........ie 'if it aint broke dont fix it'.

We all know what they were trying to do, but it didn't work, mainly because of the mismatched people they hired to do the job.
They were lucky that the goodwill factor from the audiences response to CR, meant that QOS was fortunate commercially to just about get away with it.

But......... they cannot afford again to get things wrong again with Bond 23.

I see Bond 23 as a bit of a do or die situation for the franchise, as they had at the start of CR.

The Bond franchise is not alone in this position as another franchise i like aka 'Alien' is in a similar position.
Though in that case the studio 20th century fox, have appeared to come to their senses and brought back the director who started the whole thing off, ie Ridley Scott. The Alien prequel film being prepared now is a film i am greatly looking forward to.

Are there here any members who are fans of the 'Alien' franchise.

EA :typing:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

I still have not seen any. I enjoy the 1951 The Thing instead as well as The Day The Earth Stood Still. Both are classics. Aliens was gore galore.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

I watch quite a lot of stuff (TV series especially) but I never watched the Alien series of movies. It's not really my kind of thing. Though if they hire actors I like for the remake I sure could give it a try. I'm open to remakes when they make sense, and from what you say EA, they are doing this sensibly.
"Are we on coms?"
katied

Post by katied »

Do not,I repeat NOT, watch the first Alien movie on a full stomach. Trust me on this one! :mrgreen:
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

katied wrote:Do not,I repeat NOT, watch the first Alien movie on a full stomach. Trust me on this one! :mrgreen:
EW! I am not gonna watch it, period, then. I hate gory stuff. I will wait for the remake. Maybe it's less revolting? :lol:
"Are we on coms?"
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

English Agent

Post by English Agent »

What??
Did i read right........or did some of you say you havn't seen 'Alien'. :shock: :shock: :shock:
You're winding me up?
That film is regarded as an alltime classic in the science fiction / horror genre.
That film was suspenseful horror at its very best, a great lesson in film making, at a time before CGI came along and messed things upto a degree.

EA
katied

Post by katied »

Alien freaked me out..and I generally don't get scared easily(but give me something like The Exorcist or 28 Days Later...... :shock: )
English Agent

Post by English Agent »

The success in the first 2 Alien films, apart from the horror, were due to a good story and great characters (this is what Bond 23 will need!). Many people including myself can name all the characters from the first 2 films, because the films drew u into the movie.
But if u scare easily, then Alien, in particular will make your skin crawl........mind u some of u seem to get the same effect from watching DC as Bond. :D

EA
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Cr-egg=Alien Bond, foreign to the psyche of any normal traditionalist Bond fan.