The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

2024 brings another Kong X Godzilla triumph! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV1OOlGwExM
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Disney’s family-friendly “Wish” rounded out the top five with $7.4 million from 3,900 locations in its sophomore outing, declining 63% from its debut. The animated musical fable, about the Wishing Star that so many Disney characters have wished upon, is shaping up to be the studio’s latest underperforming blockbuster in 2023. It cost $200 million and has amassed just $41 million in North America and $81 million worldwide to date.........more bad news for Disney!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

This is over a year old, so apologies if people have already seen it, or if it's been posted here before. It's an interesting look at the most successful Bond films based on various measures of success. The worldwide ROI chart is particularly damning for the Craig era:

https://www.thejamesbonddossier.com/fil ... series.htm

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:47 pm This is over a year old, so apologies if people have already seen it, or if it's been posted here before. It's an interesting look at the most successful Bond films based on various measures of success. The worldwide ROI chart is particularly damning for the Craig era:

https://www.thejamesbonddossier.com/fil ... series.htm

An interesting article, nice to see someone other than us pick apart the fallacy Dan is the "Bustust EVA!" cuz he make much money!"
I do think it cute however the author tried to soften the blow on NTTD's underperformance by wondering if covid kept potential viewers at home. Never mind a little over a month later a film was released to theaters which earned $1.9 Billion (Spiderman). It couldn't have been the muddled plot, maudlin "romance" or the pointless suicide of the beloved main character. No, no, I'm sure it must have been "The Rona."
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:22 am An interesting article, nice to see someone other than us pick apart the fallacy Dan is the "Bustust EVA!" cuz he make much money!"
Yes, it shows that NTTD in particular was something of a failure by Bond standards, having the fifth-lowest ever box office gross adjusted for inflation, and the lowest return on investment. Yet I still see articles touting the fact that the Craig films made more money than their predecessors, as if having an unadjusted gross higher than those of movies made 50 years beforehand is some kind of achievement.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The next James Bond will be a fresh face, not a familiar character from the past, according to producer Barbara Broccoli. Broccoli firmly opposes using AI to digitally resurrect deceased actors, calling it disrespectful to their legacies. While the next Bond actor remains unknown, Broccoli hints that they will likely have acting experience and range, but doesn't rule out a non-star.
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

She doesn’t like AI..good.

She gonna get her claws IU to the next Bond and make him her boy toy…BAD.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

kater23 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:49 pm She doesn’t like AI..good.

She gonna get her claws IU to the next Bond and make him her boy toy…BAD.
Yeah, the good news is, no uncanny valley CGI Connery, the bad news is, probably no Cavill either. i'm not inherently opposed to a non-star being cast in the role, there could be some bit-part actor out there who would make an absolutely perfect James Bond, but I can't say I trust Babbzy's instincts when it comes to finding him.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

“I played Bond with the reality, credibility, and hopefully still encompassing stance and effect and what have you, and out of it some indigenous humour,” Connery said. “And anything that happens is possible. I feel that Roger – which I think he may have inherited in part from after Diamonds Are Forever, where they were already getting into that area of too much hardware – that that was more important.”

“His is a sort of parody of the character, as it were, so you would go for the laugh or the humour at whatever the cost of the credibility or the reality,” Connery continued to note of Moore’s efforts. “I think that’s basically the difference. I think he took another direction with it that way and acquired an entirely different audience.”

Clearly, there is a sense in Moore that he’s the proper Bond, the one who played the iconic secret spy with a seriousness that seemed to depart once he handed the baton over to Moore. There’s always been a sense of tongue-in-cheek humour to 007, but Connery felt that it became over-amplified when Moore donned the suit and loaded his pistol.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

And yet Connery is the one who hired Dick Clement and Ian Le Frenais to funny up the script for NSNA.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

"Daniel Craig's Bond strayed far from Fleming's vision" - finally, someone (besides us) said it:

https://screenrant.com/james-bond-actor ... acter-how/

dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:10 pm "Daniel Craig's Bond strayed far from Fleming's vision" - finally, someone (besides us) said it:

But, but he's the closest to Flemmmmming's Bond that evaaa was! A very interesting point in an otherwise vacuous "listicle" (No offence intended to you Kris). A lot of the "universal truths" parroted by someone who I question even read the books, I don't profess to be a literary Bond scholar, but all the babble of Bond being "so cold blooded" and "morally ambiguous" don't ring true to me, unless the author has a different definition for those terms than me.

However his point about Craig being so far from Fleming's Bond because of his emotional, dewy eyed, weepy personal ring very true!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Well, the quote about Bond having many vices and few virtues is direct from Fleming, and Bond does say in one of the books (I forget which one) that he regards killing as an unpleasant but necessary part of the job.

Jason
Lieutenant

Post by Jason »

dirtybenny wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:52 am
Kristatos wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:10 pm "Daniel Craig's Bond strayed far from Fleming's vision" - finally, someone (besides us) said it:

But, but he's the closest to Flemmmmming's Bond that evaaa was! A very interesting point in an otherwise vacuous "listicle" (No offence intended to you Kris). A lot of the "universal truths" parroted by someone who I question even read the books, I don't profess to be a literary Bond scholar, but all the babble of Bond being "so cold blooded" and "morally ambiguous" don't ring true to me, unless the author has a different definition for those terms than me.

However his point about Craig being so far from Fleming's Bond because of his emotional, dewy eyed, weepy personal ring very true!
Agreed. To me Dalton was the closest to Fleming's Bond. Craig didn't bother to pay homage to either the literary Bond or the character Connery created with Terrance Young. Bond did die and it was in 2005 when Babz gave Craig the role.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:06 am Well, the quote about Bond having many vices and few virtues is direct from Fleming, and Bond does say in one of the books (I forget which one) that he regards killing as an unpleasant but necessary part of the job.

Hey I get it Kris, the book Bond had may vices; alcohol, cigarettes, gambling, womanizing, etc. I'm not saying he was without fault, but this chap paints his as some sort of anti hero as Danny did. "Moral Ambiguity," at least in my mind, denotes somewhat villainous traits. Bond never hurt anyone intentionally who didn't deserve it. And as you point out he did not enjoy killing, perhaps we're thinking of the same quote, though I believe it's a theme that turns up throughout the series, In The Living Daylights (story) Bond is at the firing range to practice and sight in his rifle for his counter sniper mission, during an inner monologue he states how he finds killing especially in cold blood quite distasteful.

Jason wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:41 am Agreed. To me Dalton was the closest to Fleming's Bond. Craig didn't bother to pay homage to either the literary Bond or the character Connery created with Terrance Young. Bond did die and it was in 2005 when Babz gave Craig the role.
I concur Jason, Dalton was the most "Literary" of the Bonds. I hesitate to say "Fleming's Bond" as what is that exactly, especially considering he signed off on the first 3 films, so much so he retroactively changed Bond to more closely mirror Connery. As to Danny's Bond? Well what can you say about him that hasn't already been said about afternoon soap operas, he's melodramatic and absurd.
Irony-Man2
Lieutenant

Post by Irony-Man2 »

Kristatos wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:06 am Well, the quote about Bond having many vices and few virtues is direct from Fleming, and Bond does say in one of the books (I forget which one) that he regards killing as an unpleasant but necessary part of the job.

I've always wondered if we should do a 1 to 1 equivalency between virtue and vice. Should they be measured equally against each other or should the nature of each determine its weight? Should the totality of one outweigh the totality of the other?

For example, Bond's virtues - his loyalty to friends, his patriotism, and commitment to duty, his protection of the vulnerable - clearly outweigh the banality of his vices, which are either personal - smoking, drinking, promiscuity (although that one is more of a movie construct than a literary one) or arise as either a necessity for or a result of his profession - arrogance, cruelty, callousness, emotional coldness and are ultimately driven by his virtues.

The best examples of this in the film series is the conversations Bond has with Trevelyan and Natalia in "Goldeneye", which take the place of the inner monologues Bond can have in the books.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

His vices help make him interesting. Had he been a square-jawed Bulldog Drummond type, it's unlikely that he would still be popular today, much as the goody-goody Superman is nowadays less popular than darker-edged superheroes like Batman and Spiderman. Zack Snyder tried to give us a grimdark Superman, but it obviously didn't suit the character (hopefully, the upcoming Superman: Legacy can get the balance right).

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

According to The Sun, the next James Bond film will star two 007s — one younger and one older. Bosses have begun lining up actors to play both roles and among their top targets is Oscar-nominated Paul Mescal. A spokesman for Eon Productions and MGM said: “We do not comment on speculation.” The Independent has contacted the studios for further comment..........a flashbacks Bond film to explore his youth?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:According to The Sun, the next James Bond film will star two 007s — one younger and one older. Bosses have begun lining up actors to play both roles and among their top targets is Oscar-nominated Paul Mescal. A spokesman for Eon Productions and MGM said: “We do not comment on speculation.” The Independent has contacted the studios for further comment..........a flashbacks Bond film to explore his youth?
Will it still be directed by Christopher Nolan and set in the '50s, or have we moved on to a new baseless rumour now?

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

James Bond star George Lazenby is in recovery after being hospitalised for a brain injury following a fall. The 84-year-old actor, who fell at his home last month, was rushed to hospital before being cared for at a California nursing home for the past few weeks. However, according to his management team, the veteran star is now on the mend and back in his Los Angeles home.