Lazenby/OHMSS in review

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Lazenby/OHMSS in review

Post by The Sweeney »

I've noticed there is no thread here discussing Lazenby, or the film he was in - OHMSS.

What's everyones thoughts on this oddity of a movie? Do you find it similar to CR (Bond in love, gadgetless, tragic ending)?

I personally loved it, despite Lazenby's (occassional) wooden acting, the badly speeded up fights, wierd camera angles that didn't cut together properly (shocking considering Hunt was an editor also). It also had the now infamous missing Gumbold scene in Switzerland, where Bond breaks into his office. For some reason this entire scene wasn't included on the Warners Home Video VHS version.

It is easily Barry's best score, the ski action scenes are superb, so is the romantic story between Bond and Tracy. The ending is also a real tear-jerking shocker too. Loved the settings at Piz Gloria, at the ice rink, in the stables. Savalas is great as Blofeld, and silly gadgets/humour are kept to a minimum. It was also Fleming's best novel, and the film is very close to the book.

What's everyone think? Great film despite Lazenby, or do you like Lazenby too, and wish he did DAF?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Lazenby/OHMSS in review

Post by Kristatos »

The Sweeney wrote:What's everyone think? Great film despite Lazenby, or do you like Lazenby too, and wish he did DAF?
Both. I think Lazenby's woodenness brought OHMSS down, particularly in the final scene, which I think would have been challenging even for a "proper" actor in his first Bond film, let alone someone with no formal acting training. But he may have done better in DAF, which was lighter and less emotional in tone, and where he would have had a chance to grow into the role, it being his second Bond film and all.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

The Sweeney wrote:I've noticed there is no thread here discussing Lazenby, or the film he was in - OHMSS.

What's everyones thoughts on this oddity of a movie? Do you find it similar to CR (Bond in love, gadgetless, tragic ending)?

I personally loved it, despite Lazenby's (occassional) wooden acting, the badly speeded up fights, wierd camera angles that didn't cut together properly (shocking considering Hunt was an editor also). It also had the now infamous missing Gumbold scene in Switzerland, where Bond breaks into his office. For some reason this entire scene wasn't included on the Warners Home Video VHS version.

It is easily Barry's best score, the ski action scenes are superb, so is the romantic story between Bond and Tracy. The ending is also a real tear-jerking shocker too. Loved the settings at Piz Gloria, at the ice rink, in the stables. Savalas is great as Blofeld, and silly gadgets/humour are kept to a minimum. It was also Fleming's best novel, and the film is very close to the book.

What's everyone think? Great film despite Lazenby, or do you like Lazenby too, and wish he did DAF?
Good topic Sweeney.

I think the Fleming story is one of his best and the film flows really well. Lazenby is wooden in areas and the fight scenes are reminiscent of early batman episodes, but like you mentioned, Savalas is an excellent Blofeld, the locations are great and the chemistry between Bond and Tracey is believable.

My main gripe with the film is the ending, which IMO emphasised Lazenby's lack of acting depth. That said I agree with Kris that he would have improved in DAF.
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
007 Roger Moore
New Recruit

OHMSS

Post by 007 Roger Moore »

The film is great, except for three scenes: Bond & Tracy becoming in love (luckily followed by the awesome scene where Bond steals something fom a banker), Bond & Tracy once again being in love after the car chase and the scene with Ruby Bartlett. Together, these scenes are less then five minutes long. And George is a good Bond, I still think.

So, OHMSS is the best bondfilm (probarly) but not my favorite.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I can't really see any flaws.

Even though it should have been too much of a gamble to cast George, it's simply a piece of art.

George should have ruined the ending - but somehow managed to play it just right.

It was meant to be.
Bring back Bond!
Moore
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: TSWLM
TWINE
FRWL
DAD

Post by Moore »

The Sweeney wrote:Do you find it similar to CR?
Yes, and that's why I hate this movie. But for snow chases and Bond meeting girls in the clinic it would be one of the worst action movies ever, not only the worst bond. There's also something strange about the plot. It was shot after 'You only live twice' where Bond and Blofeld met. Why then in OHMS they don't recognize each other?
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

Moore wrote:
Yes, and that's why I hate this movie. But for snow chases and Bond meeting girls in the clinic it would be one of the worst action movies ever, not only the worst bond. There's also something strange about the plot. It was shot after 'You only live twice' where Bond and Blofeld met. Why then in OHMS they don't recognize each other?
You just have to try and look past one. :wink:
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
james stock
Lieutenant

Post by james stock »

Skywalker wrote:
Moore wrote:
You just have to try and look past one. :wink:
I disagree slightly Skywalker i felt Lazenby played the final scene extramly well considering he had no acting expearience, i dont think Connery could have pulled that scene off. i think Lazenby is probebly the most above criticism because he only did the one film :D
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

james stock wrote: I disagree slightly Skywalker i felt Lazenby played the final scene extramly well considering he had no acting expearience, i dont think Connery could have pulled that scene off. i think Lazenby is probebly the most above criticism because he only did the one film :D
The lack of acting experience is an explaination for his wooden reaction to Tracey's death, but perhaps the finger of blame should be laid at Cubby for hiring him. The final moment when Bond realises Tracey has been killed should have been the most poignant moment of the film and perhaps the franchise, but Lazenby's lack of expression sort of killed the scene for me. Each time I've watched that scene I have felt cheated because it could have been so much better.

That said OHMSS is a very good Bond film and GL had a great Bondian look and with more experience would have been an excellent Bond.
Gary Seven
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Gary Seven »

I honestly don't think that Lazenby was wooden in the final scene. Connery or a professional actor may have done it better. But Lazenby did well.
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

Gary Seven wrote:I honestly don't think that Lazenby was wooden in the final scene. Connery or a professional actor may have done it better. But Lazenby did well.
I know many others who agree you. I guess I'm in the minority (Nothing new there I suppose). :wink:
Sir Dennis Hodge
New Recruit

Post by Sir Dennis Hodge »

Lazenby was very good on On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

He had the Bond look and his natural toughness and charm made up for his lack of acting skills.
MichaelZWilliamson
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia With Love

Post by MichaelZWilliamson »

It's hard to sum this one up.

The love subplot detracted a lot.

Lazenby was wooden in spots.

From a martial arts perspective, it was awesome, since Lazenby had a bona-fide background in it.

Kilt adds 20 man points. Bond in a kilt adds 50 man points. But they don't add enough to completely neutralize the down sides.

I do wish he'd continued for a couple more, and the director and editor should have pushed him a bit harder on the acting.
Recent work from Michael Z. Williamson
BATTLE LUNA (co-author), Baen Books, Jul 2020
FREEHOLD: DEFIANCE (editor), Baen Books, May 2021
THAT WAS NOW, THIS IS THEN, Baen Books, Dec 2021

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

MichaelZWilliamson wrote:It's hard to sum this one up.

The love subplot detracted a lot.

Lazenby was wooden in spots.

From a martial arts perspective, it was awesome, since Lazenby had a bona-fide background in it.

Kilt adds 20 man points. Bond in a kilt adds 50 man points. But they don't add enough to completely neutralize the down sides.

I do wish he'd continued for a couple more, and the director and editor should have pushed him a bit harder on the acting.
I liked the romantic subplot. :oops: :lol:
Bring back Bond!
MichaelZWilliamson
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia With Love

Post by MichaelZWilliamson »

The romantic subplot was good theater, but Bond isn't good theater, he's Bond. :007:
Recent work from Michael Z. Williamson
BATTLE LUNA (co-author), Baen Books, Jul 2020
FREEHOLD: DEFIANCE (editor), Baen Books, May 2021
THAT WAS NOW, THIS IS THEN, Baen Books, Dec 2021

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com